PDA

View Full Version : Problem of changing the Head gasket.

Neoniu
08-06-2004, 10:41 AM
:bow: I am changing the head gasket. But the bigger nut on the header connected to air suction tube is too tight to unscrew. I have tried two days . I plan to use a saw to cut the pipe instead of unscrewing the nut so I can take the header off.

Did anybody have the same problem before? Any suggestions?

Neo

johnpaulmuff
08-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Can you disconnect the air suction tube at the other end? Cutting it will cause more problems. If it is hard to get off of yours, it may be hard to get off of a junk yard car.

Neoniu
08-06-2004, 11:19 AM
I unscrewed the other end. But the tube still could not move much.

shepherd79
08-06-2004, 11:26 AM
the best way is to get the radiator out of the way by removing it,
get big ass wrench or adjastible wrench and put some power to it.
it will come off eventually.
oh, you may want to spray some PB blaster on it to make it easy.

Neoniu
08-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Radiator already out. I spread alot of WD-40 and liquid wrench. I used a big wrench and hammer to do it . The wrench already has some damage on the edge. :mad:

Neoniu
08-06-2004, 07:40 PM
So I don't need to worry about unscrewing that nut. :sadwave:

racerx
08-08-2004, 03:16 PM
The wrench already has some damage on the edge. :mad:

Man, I don't know what kind of tools you're using, but you need to start buying Craftsman. they might be a little bit more expensive at first, but they are definately worth it. They replace ALL of their tools for free when they are damaged or broken. (except power tools). no questions asked, no receipts, nothin. if it says craftsman on the side, they'll replace it.

but as for the tube, i know you say you'll take it all out at once, but in case you change your mind, I used a vice grip. worked like a charm.

A20A1
08-08-2004, 03:43 PM
All you do it remove the fittings from the intake side... you should remove the dogbone engine bracket that holds the brace from the motor to the firewall to get more room, and also the distributor and thermostat housing... don't unbolt the air suction valve just remove the pipe, with that and the egr off, you can slightly bend the pipes out a little to remove the intake manifold. if you drop the exhaust you can lean the header forward and then remove the head... no need to remove the pipes from the header/exhaust manifold.

edit: the header has the bolts that connect it to the head as well as 2 larger bolts that are in the middle of the manifold that connect it to the block.