PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idle

MiGRaNe
05-03-2002, 11:25 AM
The idle on my accord is messed(89 EX-i). When it warms up it starts idling at 2k then jumps btw 2k-3k for about 5-10mins or untill it reaches full temperature. After its at temperature it idles around 1.5k and sometimes starts jumping btw 1.1k-1.6k for a few seconds and then levels out again at 1.5k. If i drive when its cold sometimes it will surge if i let off the gas, but if its warm i can drive it fine even at low RPMS. Now i tried unhooking the ECAV and it idles worse, it jumps very fast btw 1.1k-1.3k and if i try to drive it surges big time. I also checked the PCV valve and it looks fine. My ECU does not give any codes unless i take off the ECAV and then i get 14.... I am thinking it is a vaccum leak but does anyone else have any suggestions on what it could be?

87accordlxph
05-03-2002, 11:40 AM
Try checking your air filter.
It maybe clogged.

Also try some FI cleaner. But I think it maybe the air filter cause
when it idles high means it's using more gas than air.
It could also be other things.

-Mike

MiGRaNe
05-03-2002, 12:16 PM
its not the filter trust me, i got a new K&N in there..

ACCORD EX
05-03-2002, 12:51 PM
try a carb cleaner ! it does miracles ! :D

MIKE

MiGRaNe
05-03-2002, 01:29 PM
i did try that a while back when it was idling low :) (possibly linked to this problem) didn't help at all, but i will try it again.....

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-03-2002, 01:49 PM
1 more thing to check. Your fast idle control valve depends on coolant flow to warm the wax pellet to lower the idle. If it doesn't warm up right, it reaches a point wher the idle starts hunting around. Check coolant level & coolant flow thru lines to valve. Sumthin to check I guess, hope it helps, if not I gave it a shot! :rolleyes:

MiGRaNe
05-03-2002, 01:56 PM
sounds like a good idea, i did check fluid level, was a little low but i did fill it back up... where is that valve you were refering to located?

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-03-2002, 02:16 PM
The valve is just behind where your throttle body meets the intake manifold, on the side of the manifold. The two 5/8", I think, hoses are real hard to reach without pulling the valve off. might look where the hoses lead to and check flow there?

MiGRaNe
05-03-2002, 02:47 PM
ahh, i see. Is it possible to clean out the valve or is it cheap to replace.

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-03-2002, 04:22 PM
Not cheap, about $80. US dealer price, Majestic a little cheaper. U can get new O rings cheap though! Best to make sure it's actually the problem. I looked at mine and the hoses look easy to get to, on the Crx they're a bitch. The coolant line seems to run thru the EACV to idle valve, then to the t/s hosing on the head. Do the lines feel warm when the engine is warming up? You should be able to try & flush them. Also, since you mentioned you were low on coolant, did you check for air at the bleed screw?

MiGRaNe
05-03-2002, 04:25 PM
umm no i didn't, where is the bleed screw located?

A20A1
05-03-2002, 04:35 PM
The bleed screw is usually on the Thermostat housing... (Where your upper radiator hose connects to the engine.)

I't is a 10mm socket (or is it 12???) well it looks like a bolt but it has a little nipple with a hole sticking out of the top. all you need to do is give it a couple of turns counter-clockwise and it should start bleeding air/coolant thru the hole. don't turn the screw all the way out!

Don87LX
05-03-2002, 06:34 PM
keep in mind guys he has a EX-i which means he has a b20 his parts could very well be in different locations on the manifold.

MiGRaNe
05-03-2002, 07:08 PM
nah its there i see it,, but it does get warm when my car warms up...

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-04-2002, 03:35 AM
The lines are warming the bottom of the idle valve, and the idle drops to normal(750-800 rpms) after warming up, means my suggestion about the flow to the valve isn't your problem, I guess, sorry.:crying: I don't know shit about the eacv, so I'm worthless on that! Could check that the throttle plate/linkage isn't dirty sticking slightly open sometimes? Guess go back looking for vacuum leak? That's about all I can think of.

dosh8er
05-04-2002, 11:56 AM
YES. There is a way to clean that fast idle valve (warm idle valve), at least I cleaned it. Pull the fast idle valve if you can, there should be two screws leading into the side of the throttle body, and there are also the two coolant hoses on the bottom, take those off and plug them with a screw or something while they're off.

I took off the top lid that has two screws in it, and then I got a special detergent-type fluid meant for cleaning intake manifold stuff. (it's actually for a machine that flushes FI systems and is also used for what I used it for).

I sprayed it in the inlet hole(s) that lead into the throttle body, and swished it around, worked the spring parts inside with a screwdriver (hey, I was deperate!) and just used my common sense (or lack thereof), letting the stuff set in there for a while to do its thing. I don't know if you've ever had the experience of cleaning a throttle body (and the butterfly part) out, but I basically went about it that way.

I placed the 'clean' unit back on the throttle body, and reconnected everything, and then fired her up. I ran it for a while, and then, I shut it off. Then I adjusted the idle down to recommended rpms. (idle screw on side of throttle body) Now it runs fine, although I still believe that it's a short term fix, I have been running fine for about 4 months now. I'm sure if it acts up again, I'll probably replace that unit, but hey, living cheap isn't bad, is it?

MiGRaNe
05-06-2002, 06:06 PM
Well i *Kinda* fixed the idle, its now works well enough for now. The idle jumps up and down when its warming up but now its btw 1.5k-1.9k and when its finally warm it drops to 800-900rpm.
All i did was turn the idle screw in as far as it would go! But there is still a sensor or something causing this jumping while its cold (30 degrees fahrenheit)and to have the idle screw in all the way but at least it drives nice now, thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

flexsource
05-10-2002, 08:33 AM
Your idle air screw is all the way in and it idles okay?

DING DING DING!!!!

Vacuume leak.......

Night Rida
05-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Well the Honda tech fixed it for me,, the same prob you have!
Listean to Dosh8er! On the intake manifol theres this little thing with 2 screws unsrew it and then get a big flat head and tighten the big screw in their all the way clockwise! And then the idle screw on the side above intake hose youll seee it, turn that all the way in dont over tighten it,,, when snug, then just unscrew it one turn counter clock wise! This is how my the tech at the Honda dealer fixed it!!!
Hope this helps
Jay
Night Rida:badass:

Hoshizakido
05-11-2002, 09:26 AM
i had that problem i found a good throttle body in a junk yard swapped them over and now it doesnt do it anymore.