PDA

View Full Version : Insane front suspension squeak!!!

zeus
08-07-2004, 07:08 PM
I've replaced the upper control arm/balljoint on my 89 Lxi, so that isn't it. When I hit the slightest bump or barely turn the wheel, I get a horrid squeak from the front right wheel area. I get all kinds of looks from neighbors and people in parking lots so I figure its time to fix it.

A visual inspection didn't do anything but I was wondering if there is a certain part that is problematic on these cars. Any suggestions before I burn this thing?

Thanks.

AccordEpicenter
08-07-2004, 07:16 PM
make sure that the spring isnt broken and rubbing on the shock... it happens. Lower balljoints can also squeak pretty loud too

MrBen
08-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Yup.. lower balljoints, springs, shocks, struts, bushings... you name it, give it a once-over.

shepherd79
08-08-2004, 03:32 AM
go over and lubricate all of it.

zeus
08-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Damn, I figured that is what you guys would say. Is there a strut mount bushing or something that squeaks?

Last night I found that it hardly squeaks when I'm accelerating due to the weight transfer. Not sure if that narrows down the possibilities but just figured I'd mention it.

MrBen
08-09-2004, 05:28 PM
I'd lubricate every thing you can. If you still have problems, I would next suspect bad balljoints. Did it squeak before you put the new balljoint(s) on? Did you replace both? It's possible the balljoint wasn't put on correctly and/or wasn't lubricated correctly. How about the lower balljoints? When I had insane squeaks it was the upper balljoints.

jigga225
08-10-2004, 11:32 AM
what to lubricate it with? we dont have no grease fittings?
suggestions?

keruhas184
08-10-2004, 01:39 PM
OMFG! My rear upper balljoint just started sqeaking like a mofo! Damn, I think its the only one I haven't replaced :uh: . It was fine all along, and BAM there's a present for you. Ahhh... what the hell, I'm doing the works with suspension anyway... one more thing on the list...

hkplayer
08-10-2004, 01:50 PM
im with jigga on that question - whats good to use for lubrication? and how would one go about doing it? or is it all about taking things apart, lubing them, then back on?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-10-2004, 01:57 PM
im with jigga on that question - whats good to use for lubrication? and how would one go about doing it? or is it all about taking things apart, lubing them, then back on?

Taking things appart is pretty much the only effective way to lubricate the parts. Particularly the upper arm body mounts. Besides, the the grease that needs to be used it really thick so there would be virtually no way to inject it into the parts with say a syringe or something thin. You could spray WD-40 under the seals, but that may do more harm than good. I experienced creaking on one of my new front upper arms and it only took about an hour to take it off, disassemble, clean, relube, and reinstall it. No more creaking. My $.02

WhiteSpecV
09-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'm getting an issue in the front end of the accord.

I replaced everything in the front end, including struts on all 4 corners.

now, I know where my squeak is coming from.

My question is, what could be making this happen:

In the hole in the strut tower, I can see the piston stem. The plate on top of the bushing is rubbing against the strut tower inside the hole.
Now, I can push the piston stem back to center, and it will stay there. when I bounce the suspension, the stem deflects to the front of the car, and the plate starts rubbing again. I haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the upper spring perch may be prone to breaking, or if anyone else had something like this happen.
I know I'll find it once I pull it apart, but figured I would come here as a sounding board.

Here's what I think. The sleeve for the bushings is fubar'd. the old steel dustboot is still in there, and right now it's rattling.