PDA

View Full Version : Compustar Alarm..I think i'm getting a good deal..

MoeShow
08-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Hi There,

My sister recently found a "deal" on a alarm starter for her Acura. Its a Compustar 1-way Alarm and Starter and they are charging her 399 Canadian for the unit including installation. I'm not really familiar with Alarms and Remote Starters so I would like some feedback to see if this is a good deal or not.

Thankx

catalin
08-10-2004, 08:37 PM
What kind of car is it?? and what featres are they installing for her?

MoeShow
08-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Its for a 98 Acura 1.6EL.

The specs that i have are:
2 remotes
2000ft range
Dual stage shock sensor
Full lifetime warranty on parts and install
Upgradeable to the 2-way at anytime for $185
Super bright blue L.E.D.

Thats all i know so far...

catalin
08-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Sounds good.. good price for upgrading to 2way.

ivanfbi
08-12-2004, 10:23 PM
400cdn=300usd, right?

shepherd79
08-13-2004, 03:55 AM
i guess it is a good price with install.
i wouldn't let anyone else to install it. i would save all that money and install it myself.

MoeShow
08-13-2004, 04:48 PM
Ya 400 Cdn is 300 US.

I would try to install it but i'm not familiar enough with wireing to try and install a command start..

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Try to find what the standard features are on the alarm system(not what the installer tells you, what the manufacturer lists). The reason for that is that installers may sometimes charge you extra to hook up a function they tell you is optional when it is in fact standard. When I got my first keyless entry professionaly installed, they "added a bonus" by hooking up the light-flash feature (standard built-in relay, they fed me some BS about adding a relay). Note that they didn't install the LED that came with the package, nor did they hook up the wiring for the horn (1 wire!). After finding the system manual online I found out that I would have probably done a better job installing the system myself (the professional installer made 2 incorrect splices for the door locks too, so much for professional). Hopefully this is a bit helpful as to what to watch out for when getting the alarm installed at a shop. Most of the time the installers are honest, but you never know.

P.S.: Installing the system yourself may be a bit overwhelming if you aren't very familiar with the car's electrical systems. The alarm usually has several features that affect the wiring schematics based on vehicle type and operation desired. If you want to install a system yourself, be prepared to do some planning before you tear into the wiring.