PDA

View Full Version : timing question!

DonnyG
07-23-2002, 01:35 AM
ok I have an 88 DX auto and I was wondering, what advatages or disadvantages I would have by advancing or retarding my timing? Or would it just hurt my acceleration or top speed?

Jareds 89 LX-i
07-23-2002, 01:57 AM
Well advancing your timing a few degrees will give you a little more power, but don't go too far or you will get pre-detonation (pinging) which, if bad enough, will eventually destroy your engine. If it's too far advanced you can also throw a rod (because the spark will fire, forcing the piston down, while the piston is still traveling up, and SNAP goes the little connecting rod :eek: ). Having the timing retarded won't really give any benefits except for maybe slightly better emissions (I think). Too far retarded will make your engine sound noticably louder, and when you hit the gas it just makes noise and doesn't really go anywhere fast, lol. Factory allowable is 15 degrees BTDC, +/- 2 degrees. I would say about 3-4 degrees advanced would be good. The engine won't sound quite as smooth and quiet when you rev up with the timing advanced alot, so I like to keep it only a few degrees advanced and it still gives a little kick yet still sounds and feels nice and smooth.

Hope that helps ya some :)

Geronimo
07-24-2002, 03:55 AM
in my experience little retarded better low end little advanced better high end not really more power but different power curve playing with timing on hondas is its not real noticeable on a stock motor

jteuton
07-24-2002, 09:29 AM
i think your talking about cam timing.....which doesn't add power but shifts it in the power band....and your backwards.....retarding adds top end power and advance adds low end pwer but this shouldn't be done unless you have a regrind....Now..ignition timing should be set as far advanced as possible till you hear pinging and then back it off a tad.....when you get emissions testing done...retard it back to the factory location.....hell 6 or 7degrees difference in ignition timing can cost you 20 horsepower....I KNOW.....been there done that

hornet
07-24-2002, 08:10 PM
I advanced my ignition timing as far as the distrib. would go and it doesn't ping at all, is that normal?

jteuton
07-25-2002, 10:24 AM
yes mine is like that.....in this case you might want to jump the cam sprocket over one tooth to give you more power and a slight advantage since you are maxed out in your current position

1988starter
07-25-2002, 10:55 AM
Hey jteuton and hornet what model and make do you have and with what mods because I want to know how it is advanced so far along.

jteuton
07-26-2002, 11:58 AM
88 fuel injected 2.0
CAI, Adjustable FPR, DC Sports 4-2-1 Header, 2.25 mandrel bent no cat to dynomax muffler, Venom Fuel Injectors, Bored TB, Polished Heads, Regrinded Cam, Silverstone plugs, Nology wires, Accel Coil, 40 Shot Nitrous, Severly Gutted Interior, Sparco Racing Seats

POS carb
07-26-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by jteuton
yes mine is like that.....in this case you might want to jump the cam sprocket over one tooth to give you more power and a slight advantage since you are maxed out in your current position

but you will change the valve timing doing that

also auto cars can't handle as much advance as the manuals, check the specs, you'll see