PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt

carl
08-09-2004, 10:10 PM
I think I need to back up my timing belt by one tooth, but is there a way so I don't have to take the whole thing apart. See no matter what I do I have the preignition ping going on. I timed it, I block the egr, I did every thing I could think of and yes I put 91 gas in. Last year When I got the My 89 Honda Accord with 120000mi on it I had to replace a vavle in it due to it had hole burn in. Now I wish that I could have had the head worked on from top to bottom, but money being money that I did not have I just replaced the vavle. I must say It have been running now for over year. Any ideas whould help.
things replaced.
Carb.
timing belt
breaks
plugs :sadwave:

Strugglebucket
08-09-2004, 10:18 PM
You should be able to get enough slack to slide the belt off and on the cam gear by loosening the tensioner bolt, although it is certainly not the *correct* way. Just make sure you move it a tooth in the right direction, and tighten the tensioner back up to 31 ft/lbs.

A20A1
08-09-2004, 10:21 PM
you blocked the EGR? that is supposed to help reduce ping.

If your timing belt isn't off a tooth don't adjust it...

You may want to check your:
- Fuel filters
- Float level

what is "breaks"

How is regular driving, do you nottice hesitation along with the pinging?

Also is your coolant and oil level full?

carl
08-09-2004, 11:16 PM
I know. And I changed it back. That car just don't run right. Ping, Ping on all up hill, no power.

you blocked the EGR? that is supposed to help reduce ping.

If your timing belt isn't off a tooth don't adjust it...

You may want to check your:
- Fuel filters
- Float level

what is "breaks"

How is regular driving, do you nottice hesitation along with the pinging?

Also is your coolant and oil level full?

Civvy
08-10-2004, 09:23 AM
# alighn TDC
# loosen the tensioner
# remove the camshaft pulley
# replace with belt in new position
# put car in 4th gear and push car forward untill the engine has turned 90degrees.
# retighten tensioner

Altho it sounds more like its fuel or ignition.

have you inspected the dizzy cap and rotor for hairline cracks and the low tension circuit.

has the head been skimmed too much?

Plugs/Plugleads?

SteveDX89
08-10-2004, 09:51 AM
The car isn't gonna just jump timing unless the belt is really stretched but I would think it would break before then. If it's been running fine for a year, it's not a cam timing problem. Like Civvy said, check for fuel and igniton problems.