PDA

View Full Version : Block problems?

Civvy
08-11-2004, 05:29 AM
I took the deck off a knackered B20 (i got as free scrap some time ago) 2day.
and i found a 3mm gap that had blown through my 800mile old head gasket between cyl 2+3 and also on 2+3 the bores were scored serverly by the rings - looking at the scores its the usual overheating signs
but, on cyl. 1+4 there's patches of extreme highly polished area's (exhaust side).
I havent took the block apart yet, but at this stage, any idea's???

I've ran it on a good head with new oil/gasket/water.

The original head had sticking valves.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-11-2004, 07:47 AM
When you get polished areas on rod bearings, that's a sign of improper seating. Maybe the same goes for rings and cylinder walls? Just a guess.

AccordEpicenter
08-11-2004, 12:29 PM
either severe overheating or lack of lube caused that... it sounds like you overheated massivley... i woudnt reuse that block or the head because theyre both prolly waped

Civvy
08-11-2004, 03:40 PM
In the 800miles it ran for with the good head, after 5thou rpm it had a heavy resinating witch i could never figure out. it used to rattle the gas pedal spring - wierd!

Was hoping you wouldn't say that i was wondering if i could use the block again after i rebuilt it. i was planning on a polished crank, forged teg R' pistons, race bearings, and skimmed face.

Surely that would be reusable?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-11-2004, 04:28 PM
Measure the head and block surfaces, check for warpage. Chances are you can probably reuse and remachine the block.