PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission Warning Signs

hkplayer
08-11-2004, 07:25 AM
Hi, I cant seem to find a general thread that discusses early warning issues that an auto tranny is going - if anyone can link me up with a thread that did, please do.

Otherwise, can you all share what some signs are that signify the going of an auto tranny? Thanks.

SteveDX89
08-11-2004, 08:22 AM
It starts to slip when shifting.

accordlxi2.0
08-11-2004, 08:35 AM
it take's too long to go into gear, like it's normally a second, but if it's longer.

if the torque converter doesn't lock.

AccordAddict
08-12-2004, 12:34 PM
i dunno if mine is slipping or not but ever since i put my short ram intake on it has been shifting VERY fast! like one day it chirped second! WTF! an auto, ya its crazy. is that a sign? other than that my tranny seems fine like going into gear and whatnot.

accordlxi2.0
08-12-2004, 12:45 PM
that's even better, ya worrying for no reason.
supposedly for 88 and up accord's have electronic controlled tranny's.
i have'nt checked on the 88 i know my 86 did'nt have it.
do the auto's have like a drive plate?, it's simular to a clutch.

AccordAddict
08-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Thats better? huh.. cool. i thought it was slipping cuz i never heard of an auto that chirped, you?

A20A1
08-12-2004, 06:30 PM
No electronic controlls on my 89... unless some punk swappewd mine out... but I doubt it since I'm the second owner...

AccordAddict
08-12-2004, 06:36 PM
a20a1 does your auto chirp sometimes?

SteveDX89
08-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Thats better? huh.. cool. i thought it was slipping cuz i never heard of an auto that chirped, you?

I've heard it

accordlxi2.0
08-13-2004, 01:46 PM
i heard that when you shift from P to R or R to P, you get this clunk sound, i was told not to worry about it, since the reverse gear shift uses' a shift fork.
i wonder though if we got a driveplate, does anyone know??

A20A1
08-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Chirp, as in tires breaking loose, YES

Chirp, as in something funky with the trans, NO

AccordAddict
08-13-2004, 02:00 PM
my car clunks when i shift to P, Drive, or Reverse, its normal, i hear auto's do it all the time.

accordlxi2.0
08-13-2004, 03:00 PM
okay what about that drive plate?

AccordAddict
08-13-2004, 03:27 PM
i heard someone post something about yes the 86-87 have drive plates and the 88+ have clutches. not sure though.

accordlxi2.0
08-13-2004, 03:49 PM
huh??????????

accordlxi2.0
08-17-2004, 06:33 PM
UPDATE::
i'm so happy i kinda got to drive her, but one thing i noticed compared to my 86 and 88
when the engine is cold the torque converter lock's on the 86.
but on this one (don't flame me my dad drove it).
but it did'nt lock till the temp reach within the normal line.

i read that electronic controlled tranny does'nt lock the t/c till it warm's up,when it passes 40mph, when the gas pedal is steady, depending on enigine load.
and when you press on the brake pedal.

anyway another sign is when you take off from a stop, it wait's until it hit the redline to shift, with out flooring it.
also when you take off it shudder's.

hkplayer
08-17-2004, 07:37 PM
shudder?

POS carb
10-18-2004, 11:27 AM
the tranny will usually go bad from 1. overheating from a bad cooler, oil supply, and/or abuse 2. wear and tear on the clutch disks (yes there are clutches and all autos are the same 86-89) 3. blown torque converter (usually screwed up the whole tranny by the time you figure it out or finish with your state of denial)

you'll notice from the more subtle things like the trans doesn't lockup anymore (like when you are in 4th gear and hit about 65 you'll notice you have a "5th gear") or it will be sluggish to shift into gear from park or neutral... chirping sounds... gear whine... loss of overall power... grinding from neutral into reverse... slipping... chattering on shifts... holding gears forever/downshifting 3rd to 2nd at 40mph by itself... it can go on and on... basically look for behaviors that aren't normal. Mine even did crazy shit like hold 4th gear and try to roll from a stop in 4th. When the torque converter blows it'll send metal all over the trans and it will usually keep running until the valves are so jammed up with metal they can't move anymore or the converter stops pumping. When the clutches burn out you'll notice the car slips in one particular gear on hard acceleration (look for gradual rpm drops when upshifting to the nexxt gear @ WOT from 6000rpm)
the ratcheting sound from reverse to neutral is common on these but usually just means its time to flush it. thuds when shifting into gear is usually your mounts not the trans.
Nothing electronic, the reverse lights turn on via the selector under the console. Everything is hydraulic pressure... I wish someone would sit and look at the valvebody and come up with a way to liven it up (aka a shift kit)

gp02a0083
11-23-2004, 10:57 AM
sound like a prob with my auto in my lxi i cant go from a cold start and go down the street or it feels like its slipping , but once the engine is warmed up it runs perfectally fine