PDA

View Full Version : Messed up on tailight paint! can you redo???

3ghandles
08-12-2004, 04:50 AM
i painted my tailights burgundy with krylon fusion paint because i didnt know about the candy apple clear method. this was a while back when i didnt know about this forum...so the question is can i start all over? can i sand that paint of the lights and do it again the right way???? thanks guys

SteveDX89
08-12-2004, 04:52 AM
Get a can of acetone. It's like paint thinner, just not as strong. It won't eat up the plastic. If that doesn't work, you can try paint thinner but be careful about it. If that doesn't work, you'll need to sand them or get new tails which conviently, I have an extra set of.

3ghandles
08-12-2004, 04:57 AM
good looking out steve :rockon:

smufguy
08-12-2004, 05:08 AM
dont forget, u can also use brake fluid to clean up ur mess ;) and u can also use carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner. They got high alcohol or spirit that bubbles up the paint (that we paint not the factory with the clear coat).

HostileJava
08-12-2004, 05:27 AM
Who needs tailights, just paint them the same color as the body and be done with it :D Seriously though, I think buying steves or going to the junkyard and getting a pair is going to be the simplest way out. If you don't have the money though start stripping that paint off.

PortugalFocus
08-12-2004, 09:13 AM
Carb Cleaner / Gum Cutter works very well on pain, particularlly 2+2.

88accordalltheway
08-12-2004, 09:19 AM
wait, which part of the tails did you paint, just the orange part or the whole tail? if its just the orange part, id just take a fine grit sand paper and go at it until you get back down to the orange part, then paint with the candy apple. After that put a butt load of clear coat on there, 15 layers or somthing so they will come out nice and smoothe. I wouldent mess with chemicals because if it eats the tail, your kinda screwed until you get a new pair.

3ghandles
08-12-2004, 09:33 AM
wait, which part of the tails did you paint, just the orange part or the whole tail? if its just the orange part, id just take a fine grit sand paper and go at it until you get back down to the orange part, then paint with the candy apple. After that put a butt load of clear coat on there, 15 layers or somthing so they will come out nice and smoothe. I wouldent mess with chemicals because if it eats the tail, your kinda screwed until you get a new pair.

i did the whole tail

ivanfbi
08-12-2004, 04:19 PM
just get the grit 400 sandpaper, and sand the whole light on wet, but be careful, and do it till all paint is gone(i am not including the factory paint) then, take about 1000grit sandpaper and do the same thing, until its smooth. Then go to Walmart/Fred Meyer/K-Mart and in the buy the Candy Apple paint, its not in the paint section, but in the car/plain model section, it cost like $4 or so...they are small cans, about 3" tall, and get the Clear Coat in the paint section, I think its easy

maxoutracer
08-12-2004, 05:28 PM
fuck it! just buy some replacement tails...

Blue Impact
08-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Try nail polish remover. If that stuff doesn't do the job then just get new taillights. Good luck.

sporkHSP
08-12-2004, 11:39 PM
not sure of the specs on the burgundy, but VHT niteshade has a warning on the website that they(the company) have not had sucess ever fully removing it once applied... i would just pick up some new tails and start over at square 1.

mr eff
08-15-2004, 01:28 PM
i used acetone to "unpaint" my front bumper turnsignal lenses. they were niteshaded, and i figured that was too much black, so i popped them out and doused them in acetone. no problems at all getting it off.

i also painted the entirety of my tails with VHT, and when i decided i wanted to bring out the reverse light lens, i used a razor to scrape out a whole bunch finishing with Qtips of trusty acetone.

hope that helps,
chris