PDA

View Full Version : Excessive drivetrain play!

Oyvind Ryeng
08-12-2004, 09:16 AM
If my car is parked on level ground in gear (5-spd manual and the handbrake off), i can roll it over a foot forwards and backwards before it stops. Also, driving around is a huge pain in the ass, because if I let off the throttle and then step on it again my drivetrain will make a _very_ audible, loud-ass "CLICK". The unknown transmission fluid was put in by the dealership in 1990 @ approx. 100.000 km; the odometer now proudly displays "236.000" km's. Will this problem go away when I put in new Honda MTF, or is the transmission FUBAR/in need of a rebuild/overhaul?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Before you decide that it is a transmission problem, make sure it is not the clutch. I get a similar clicking noise and I have narrowed it down to my clutch. Basically what I think may have happend is the clutch dampers have fallen out and now I am getting some play between the inner and outer clutch disks. Considering that original Honda clutches have rubber dampers, that is a very good possibility. It is pretty easy to check if you have play in the transmission. Raise a wheel off the ground and rotate it while the car is in gear and in neutral. You shouldn't feel any play at all. If there is play with the clutch engaged but no play when the clutch is pressed in, the clutch is the culprit. Changing the transmission oil is always a good idea. It should be done once every two years. I doubt that Honda MTF is much different from normal motor oil, but if it makes you feel better, put that in. IMHO it is not your transmission, but the clutch. Hope this helps.

Oyvind Ryeng
08-12-2004, 11:13 AM
I suppose it could be the clutch. Lately there is some situations where it won't disengage (!). Also, this is the original clutch wich is 17 year old and has 236.000 km's on it. Incredible reliability, but I guess it's time to change it. When I think about it, it engages only with the pedal almost out.

On another note, when I jack up the car and leave it in 1st gear, I can turn the wheel 1/8 turn forwards and backwards (total). But this can also be caused by a springless clutch, right?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Well since your clutch is original, there are no springs in it. Instead, Honda opted to use rubber dampers. I am guessing that after so many miles and stress the dampers simply break down. What you are describing is exactly what I have been experiencing since I got my car. The clutch is still strong, but there is that play in the drivetrain. Considering that your clutch is showing signs of wear, replacing it will probably be a good idea anyway and will probably cure the drivetrain slack. I'd be interested in hearing if you pinpoint the problem since I am in the same situation as you. :D

P.S.: To answer your question, the play can be caused by a springless clutch because the inner plate (connected to tranny) and the outer plate which has the friction material on it can slide around each other and are limited only by the spring/damper tabs. This would give you a slight amount of free travel.

Oyvind Ryeng
08-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Thank you for your insight (even tho' I'm fully aware of how a clutch works, *brag*, *brag*). I was just a tiny bit confused on how to pinpoint the problem to be in the differential or possibly in the clutch. I will definately tell you how things go when I change the clutch. (There is only one clutch to use; it was reccomended to me by "Rocket" on Honda-Tech, and it's supplied by WiredSpeedlab. It's an Action 2KS, with a sprung "Segmented Tribco Kevlar" disk, and a stronger pressure plate (3000 pounds).

"The Kevlar will litterarly last forever and it's extremely easy on the flywheel (as good as no wear), plus it's friction is far greater than organic materials, and to top it off, it's slippable!" I was told this by Mr. Rocket himself, and I don't doubt it for a second. He KNOWS clutches. It's supposed to be right in the area of USD$425, but don't quote me on that.

AccordEpicenter
08-12-2004, 04:12 PM
make sure its not your engine/tranny mounts

Oyvind Ryeng
08-12-2004, 06:07 PM
make sure its not your engine/tranny mounts
I have checked. The engine and transmission is by no means "loose". If I push and pull the engine at the valvecover I can see it moving at the most 2 millimetres (0,01 inch) between furthest back and most to the front. Also there is no side-to-side or up-and-down play.