PDA

View Full Version : cut resonator or not

shepherd79
07-23-2002, 10:46 AM
well, it is time to do the exhaust work.
i am getting Dynomax super turbo, it looks like everybody like this muffler.
But i still have a few questions:

Should i cut the resonator? how loud will it be with dynomax?
and another one

should i get high flow cat converter too?
what do you guys think?

where can i get high flow cat converter,and what kind?
I don't want to pay too much.
thanks a lot.
I love this forum.
3GEEZ rocks:super:

TeKKnoTeKK
07-23-2002, 11:18 AM
well it depends on the sound you are looking for....if you just want to be able to barely hear the muffler then leave the resonator. If you want it pretty loud so that people walking on the street can hear you coming for a half a block or so take it off :super:

1988starter
07-23-2002, 12:25 PM
I have a highflow converter and no resonator and I love the sound has some volume but nothing too crazy but then again I have a header and 2.25 inch piping.

shepherd79
07-23-2002, 01:30 PM
where can i get high flow catalic converter?
i need cheap stuff.
does anyone has one for sale?

1988starter
07-23-2002, 02:26 PM
130 from www.nopi.com I think that Is what I paid anyway.
http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsppcs&makeid=140&modelid=010&catyear=1988&catid=0020&vTitle=1988%20HONDA%20Accord%20Exhaust

shepherd79
07-23-2002, 03:45 PM
ok, what about some universal ones?
are there any universal catalic converters?
thanks

shepherd79
07-24-2002, 09:51 AM
ok so i am gonna get dynomax but i am thinking about getting a catalytic converter too.
so i looked on the summit racing and here is what i found
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=18594
or
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=18595
will they work on our cars.
thanks a lot.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-24-2002, 12:06 PM
WARNING: IT WILL BE PLENTY LOUD WITH THE RESONATOR IN PLACE, KEEP IT. I have the Dynomax Super turbo and the resonator in place. In fact my 2 1/4" piping begins at the resonator. The way I looked at it was this. I say a number of guys that removed their resonators and then turn around and want to put it back in, that told me something. I figured if it wasn't loud enough, it would be real easy and cheap to have it removed. I completely feel that I did the right thing.

shepherd79
07-24-2002, 05:29 PM
well, i am gonna keep the resonator. i can always cut it later.
But what about catalytic converter, with the ones i posted above fit or even work on our cars?

89AccordLXI666
05-24-2004, 11:29 AM
Ok I have a leak in my resonator and its so disturbing... I also have a aftermarket performance muffler, well If I wanted to cut the resonator off and just replace it with a pipe, how big does the pipe have to be and what size clamps do I need 2 use... If some 1 could help me that would be great... Thanks guys. Lataz

Vinny
05-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Holy Old Threads Batman. Almost 2 years old.

first question is........ why. J/K Seriously, are you talking about the resonator or the flex pipe? The res in after the cat, the flexpipe is before. Just asking because you said you had exhause work done already. Whatever pipe you have on the rest of the exhaust is what you would want to use to replace the resonator. You'll also need to have the pipe flared so it will fit over the existing pipe. Best bet would be take it into a local shop, have them cut the reonator off and weld in a new section of pipe

shepherd79
05-24-2004, 12:37 PM
yeah i have to agree with vinny, take it to a shop and let them weld the pipe.
if it is flex pipe, get universal one and weld it.

PS. i used to be such a newbie, LOL.

smufguy
05-24-2004, 02:52 PM
shit i did not even realize how old this thread was. I was like, is Alex being serious???? i wanted to be the one who said "Use the search button". but that idea got shot right to the drain :(

89AccordLXI666
06-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Ok Correction it was the flex pipe that was the problem... Sorry guy's for the confusion. And yeah I already used the search button, thats how I found this one, and yeah I realize it's old... LOL ;-) But I did a quick fix job on it. What I did is I bought that exhaust repair bandage looking crap then I wraped it around, then I used a few soda cans and cut the tops and bottoms off of the cans then cut the cans in the middle going from the top to bottom. So I then wrapped the cans around the flex pipe put 2 clamps on, and wala the leak and annoying sound was gone, I know its a cheap fix but it should last for awhile, I hope.. LOL Well hope I cleared things up for you guy's and again I apologize for the confusion. Until next time, Later guy's and thanks for the help. :-)