PDA

View Full Version : interesting paint/tint find...

sporkHSP
08-12-2004, 11:58 PM
ok, i was at autozone a while back (its the closest place to my house) and i bought some paint for my 626 lip which was faded pretty badly, anyway i decided to us it to paint the eyelid trip pieces and descovered that after 2 coats you could still see the pattern in the plastic below it... so i took a chance and painted the runninglight portion of my corner lenses with the same stuff (left orange part alone)and low and behold after a thin coat and a heavier coat, the finish looks jet black and still emits light!!!! i even could see the light in a reflection off of the tailgate of a shiny dark green truck today (before dust).

now the wierd part is, the paint wasnt niteshade or any other canned tinting, its DupliColor Trim paint. i would have never suspected that it would be usable as a tinting until my chance discovery today. ill get pics (tinted front, lip, tranny swap, everything) soon and you can see it. just thought i would pass this along for anyone who is lookinfor vht niteshade and cant find it anywhere like me.

Robs89LXi
08-13-2004, 03:28 AM
Cool! Is it legal?

HostileJava
08-13-2004, 07:38 AM
I'm sure it's not, but most cops won't know the difference unless there being dicks about it.

sporkHSP
08-13-2004, 09:21 AM
it looks pretty good, and if you put LED lights behind it there is no way they will complain about the brightness at least for the corners and probably bumper lights too. when i have money im upgrading all of my lighting to LED just to be safe, and if its dark you cant really even tell its tinted. ill get pics up soon.

Forgar_88
08-13-2004, 03:13 PM
OOOO!! The backyard mods are improving! Interesting, now i may have to check this out for myself...

Glowin Smurff
08-13-2004, 04:10 PM
any pics?

sporkHSP
08-13-2004, 11:27 PM
no pics yet, definatly need LED lights i think, and i would only use it if you absolutely cannot by any means get vht niteshade.

copper700
08-17-2004, 07:40 PM
i painted my tails one time......looked sweet too all black 3gee until u turned on the lights. And i just used carquest gloss black spray paint