PDA

View Full Version : turning new rotors

1987HondaAccord
08-13-2004, 12:58 AM
hey,

i was about to buy some new rotors from nopionline.com and i was wondering if i needed to have them turned before i put them on my car? i'm pretty sure i need new rotors, because the old ones don't look so good. thanks for the help.

shepherd79
08-13-2004, 03:42 AM
what do you mean the old ones don't look so good?
are they warped? or what?
no you don't have to turn the new rotors, that is why they are brand new. i don't know why people buy rotors from NOPI. you can get them dirt cheap at autozone or advance auto or anyother autoparts stores. i have my rotors from autozone and they are just fine. bought them $20 per side and i am happy with them.

DeathRat
08-13-2004, 03:56 AM
In my 15 years as a Partsman, I can tell you that ANY GOOD QUALITY Drum or Rotor DOESN't need to be turned before installing them. Some of the "Offshore" or "Chinese" ones DO HOWEVER due to the mass quantity & lesser quality that are "their" standards" for making them. In other words, the CHEAP ROTORS/DRUMS SHOULD be turned because these are mass produced.

nswst8
08-13-2004, 05:11 AM
Autozone, Advance Auto are your best bet. Hell if you want take them to your local machine shop and have them dimpled and slotted and still be ahead of the game.
Unless you have a big break kit and some large mods don't bother with the Nopi.
Save your money for other mods. :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

86LXItooFAST4me
08-13-2004, 07:10 AM
In my 15 years as a Partsman, I can tell you that ANY GOOD QUALITY Drum or Rotor DOESN't need to be turned before installing them. Some of the "Offshore" or "Chinese" ones DO HOWEVER due to the mass quantity & lesser quality that are "their" standards" for making them. In other words, the CHEAP ROTORS/DRUMS SHOULD be turned because these are mass produced.

this is true but the reason people turn them is because of the way these things are handled. they are all in individual CARDBOARD boxes and in almost all situations they are stacked ontop of each other. now these things are not really light, especially when you start stacking them like weights on a dolly to be delivered. my point is these things get handled a lot by numerous people and can get dropped, warped, cracked, thrown, to much weight put on them. its always a good idea (IMO) to go ahead and put it on the machine to see if its off any. in my experience ive seen a lot of good looking NEW rotors that were WAY off. but it doesnt matter how "good" the rotor is when it isnt handled right in the warehouses and stores. ive turned a lot of rotors in my day is why i think this.

DeathRat
08-13-2004, 07:33 PM
I've found that some turn them anyways because of driving habits! Some like myself are brutal on the brakes, as I speed all the time, then have to hammer the brakes when some jerk cuts in front of me.

I too have turned alot of rotors in my day......most Good Quality ones though, seem never need to be turned though before instal though just the same. It might be due to handling them, or the way they are shipped, but mostly it's the quality of the metal the rotors are made of too. The cheaper rotors react differently to heat generated by the brakes.

Most people DON'T burnish their brakes either BTW! This can cause troubles too, as they blame the rotor instead of themselves.