PDA

View Full Version : Engine and Radiator Flush ???

skippy124
08-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Hi,

I intend to flush (backflush) engine and radiator, and have a question... What are the pros and cons of using a cooling system flushing/cleaning product. From what I have gathered from comments here and other bulletin boards these compounds can sometimes cause more problems than they cure. Anybody had any good or bad experiences ???

A20A1
08-13-2004, 01:20 AM
I hear bad things about using stop leak products...

I'm not sure about cleansers... it may affect things like gaskets and possibly the bearrings in the pump, but that could come from not completely flushing the cleaning product out with plain water after you use it...

Anyways, I wouldn't flush my system with just water... there would be no way to get the caked on stuff... shop around for something namebrand and just read the lables.

shepherd79
08-13-2004, 03:39 AM
i use Prestons flush system with preston chemicals. you put that 5 minute flush into your radiator. run the car for 5 minutes.
shut it off and connect the hose and start flushing.
you won't believe how much dirt will come out.
the only disanvatage with preston flush kit is that when you flush it with garden hose, the water coming out cold, which tends to shut off the engine block circle. thus you can only flush radiator and heater core.
if you remove the thermostat. you can flush the engine too.
good luck.

nswst8
08-13-2004, 05:23 AM
I remove the thermastat when I flush its simple and quick this way you get a full cycle flush.
The only thing I wouldn't do is install a "T" in the heater hose to back flush the system. The only place to install this "T" is over the starter and to many guys have lost starters because the "T" leaks even if you tighten it down.

skippy124
08-13-2004, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am going to replace the thermostat so I will be able get a good flush before I put in the new one. We don't have prestone products over here but I have looked their products up on the web, and I can get good quality equivalents here. We don't have flush kits here either so I won't have the problem of killing my starter :lol: