PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter did nothing!

AccordAddict
08-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Damn i was hoping i'd get more response on WOT by replacing my fuel filter and FUCK NO nothing different! maybe my air filter is dirty.. but looks clean. anybody have ideas why my car isnt jerking hard when i floor it? it did the first day i got my intake then the second day it got worse.

87accordlxi
08-13-2004, 02:16 PM
uh, you're not really going to feel much of a performance difference if you change fuel filters. It's more of a regular/preventative maintenence kind of thing.

AccordAddict
08-13-2004, 02:25 PM
yeah i just heard my car was lagging on WOT cuz of my dirty fuel filter. so i replaced it.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-13-2004, 02:28 PM
what is WOT??? i missed something, im sorry.

AccordAddict
08-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Wide Open Throttle. (When you floor the gas pedal)

A20A1
08-13-2004, 03:04 PM
You just overheated bad... and now you expect your car to perform... you need a tune-up, check the EFI Tech thread, I replied to some of your posts there.

At least you know that you wont have to touch the fuel filter for a while and can knock that off the list of possible problems.

accordlxi2.0
08-13-2004, 03:16 PM
hmmm isay invest in a daul stage intake, it'll boost the horses.
if you have a dremal at home you can bore out the t/b a little.
advnce timing and use some premium fuel.

if you don't mind me asking but what are your mod's?

AccordAddict
08-13-2004, 03:27 PM
my mods? there listed under my signature. um what is dual stage ,isnt that a carbed system? i have FI. and what does bore mean, i have a dremel.

accordlxi2.0
08-13-2004, 03:37 PM
well the term is used for both model's. except for 86-87 efi intake's.

on 88-89 efi intake manifold's it has regalar four hole's,. then 4 butterfly valves.
now when you you rev up to 3,500 rpm's or so the butterfly valve's open up, incresing air flow to match the fuel boost.

boring the throttle body is like shaving the inside of the t/b on both sides making the hole bigger, to increse airflow.

i had a 86 lx once i moded that baby up, the power increased alot to me. . .

AccordAddict
08-13-2004, 03:46 PM
yeahi have an 86 lxi FI. so.. i dunno if that pertains to me. but now i know what boring is! thanks.

tatmark1
08-13-2004, 07:47 PM
You just overheated bad... and now you expect your car to perform...

i was thinking the same

k-roy
08-13-2004, 08:59 PM
You just overheated bad... and now you expect your car to perform...

i was thinking the same
Exactly. You are gonna have to do a few things to get it running smoothe again. First change the oil and filter. Second drain the cooling system. Third go over all the coolant hoses and make sure they don't seem soft or hard, you should know what good rubber feels like from the touch. If any are bad or questionable replace them (I replaced all of mine within a month of buying the car for the peace of mind). Hell a new thermostat and gasket is not a bad idea either, I even have a thread in the howto section on that. Then you need to fill it up with fresh coolant and bleed the air out of the system (there is another howto for that). Then change your sparkplugs and gap them appropriately, try to get something decent like NGKs, autolites suck btw.
One secret to a well running engine is proper valve clearence. There is yet another howto for valve adjustments.
You can chalk up the fuel filter as preventitive maintance. Like Mike said you know thats in good shape and will not have to worry about it for a long time.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-14-2004, 10:03 AM
i didnt know you had over heated, you might wanna do a compression test just to make sure all is ok in that department.

k-roy
08-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Overheating is a bitch. WHen you change the oil take a look and see if there is any coolant in the oil. ANd when you flush the coolant see if there is any oil in there. If the 2 fluids mix that means your head gasket is toast.

AccordAddict
08-14-2004, 05:48 PM
damn thats alot of work and money. i dont have any money right now and im saving for a paint job so.. yah. i dunno what to say, it runs fine now but still its not as good as the first day i got the intake, it was the best ive ever felt it run.

tatmark1
08-14-2004, 06:39 PM
not going to matter how your car looks if it doesnt run

AccordAddict
08-14-2004, 08:21 PM
if anything out ofthe ordinary happens again i will check all the stuff on that list.

mr eff
08-15-2004, 12:50 PM
i think you may have your priorities confused... it'd be best for you to make sure everything in your car operates up to spec before even considering cosmetic or performance upgrades.

to each his own, i suppose, but having a beautiful custom-painted lx-i that burns oil is much worse than a reliable yet faded one.

chris