PDA

View Full Version : 10000 times asked question again(but not the will this fit type)

ivanfbi
08-13-2004, 11:54 PM
How many washers do I need to put on the prelude arms if I am lowering about 1.7 in front, and how many washer on the rear upper control arms do I need to put, if I am at 1.6 lower? I have searched for 2-3 hours and found nothing.

Elijah
08-14-2004, 01:50 AM
you probally wont even have a camber problem.

I dont know

ivanfbi
08-14-2004, 01:54 AM
well, just wanna do it at one time, you know....I mean, I don't want to mess with it later, when the MEAN NEGATIVE CAMBER will eat my tires, and then pay for alighment again...In Vinni's How To, he said on front, we might put 3 washers on each side of arm, how low does he sit?

Elijah
08-14-2004, 02:03 AM
Search

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-14-2004, 05:24 AM
well, just wanna do it at one time, you know....I mean, I don't want to mess with it later, when the MEAN NEGATIVE CAMBER will eat my tires, and then pay for alighment again...In Vinni's How To, he said on front, we might put 3 washers on each side of arm, how low does he sit?

On the front the washers are only used to space out the mounting points because the prelude arms are narrower than the Accords. The 3 washers on each side bring the distance between the mounting studs to Accord spec. The number of washers is not related to how much camber correction you need. The prelude arms correct the camber, not the washers. On the REAR, the washers are installed between the body and arm mount thereby giving you camber correction. The number of washers needed DOES depend on the amount of camber correction required.

Busted_Blue
08-14-2004, 08:24 AM
you probally wont even have a camber problem.

I dont know

actually, he might or might not have a camber problem. My drop of 1inch gave me 1.5 degrees in the front of camber so 1.7 drop will definitely be more! More importantly toe in and toe out are the main reason for excessive tirewear. An alignment will fix this problem. As far as camber, depending on how severe the neg. camber is, it might be possible to just leave it without adjusting it. Why destroy something that HELPS you corner? I've notice usually toe is the culprit in wearing out tires fast.

AZmike
08-14-2004, 11:02 AM
With the rear lowered 1.3" my rear camber went from 0.0 and -0.2 (left, right) to -0.5 and -0.7--still well within spec. A little negative camber, especially on the lightly loaded rear on our cars, should not cause a problem. As mentioned above, it takes a whole lot of camber to cause wear problems compared to just a little bit of toe. If you're concerned, adding 1/8"-1/4" of washers between the upper arm mount and the unibody should get you closer to zero rear camber. Don't add too much though, a little negative is much better than positive. I have very even tire wear with about -0.6 camber front and rear

bullard123
08-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Man I'm having camber problems too. Only in the rear though. I've had the same set of front tires on my car since I got it lowered back in Feb 2004 and they are still fine. But the rear tires wear out extremely quickly. I just bought new tires for the rear a couple of months ago and they are BALD! I have a 2.25 in drop with sprint springs all around. What's the best way to fix this?? Camber kits or prelude control arms?? Which is cheaper the camber kit or the control arms?? I have to fix this quickly cause I;m in Colorado and it will be snowing here soon and I can't be driving around here on bald tires. Also who makes camber kits for our cars??

TheMagi
08-15-2004, 10:29 AM
Man I'm having camber problems too. Only in the rear though. I've had the same set of front tires on my car since I got it lowered back in Feb 2004 and they are still fine. But the rear tires wear out extremely quickly. I just bought new tires for the rear a couple of months ago and they are BALD! I have a 2.25 in drop with sprint springs all around. What's the best way to fix this?? Camber kits or prelude control arms?? Which is cheaper the camber kit or the control arms?? I have to fix this quickly cause I;m in Colorado and it will be snowing here soon and I can't be driving around here on bald tires. Also who makes camber kits for our cars??

He just went through all of this, and has some great insight to the problem.

ivanfbi
08-16-2004, 11:22 PM
OK, I fell like I will NEVER find it here, till I will do it myself...

markmdz89hatch
08-20-2004, 08:51 AM
OK, I fell like I will NEVER find it here, till I will do it myself...

Not quite sure what you mean. Rus explained the need for washers and their proper use, and Mike gave the info on camber.

bullard123 --> As others just mentioned, camber is most likely not your culprit here. TOE is what causes premature and excessive wearing of tires. If camber was your problem in the back, the tires would be worn down only on one side, and the other side would look fine. Toe, however is not as nice, bad toe will eat up the whole surface of the tire, and cause it to wear a tire out in no time.

My camber is at about 1.2 all around (give or take a little), but my toe is WAY off up front. So far, in 10K mi. I have gone through a pair of brand new Nitto 450's and a pair of brand new Toyo Proxy FZ4's.

The prelude arms are only to replace the front upper arms of the accord, so it'll only correct front camber issues. The rear camber is only correctable with either an adjustable upper control arm (camber kit), or the washer trick mentioned above.

bullard123
08-20-2004, 01:36 PM
OK. So Markdzm89hatch so what's the best way to fix a toe problem? An alignment??

NXRacer
08-20-2004, 01:44 PM
OK. So Markdzm89hatch so what's the best way to fix a toe problem? An alignment??
an alignment is the ONLY way to fix the toe problem.

AZmike
08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
If your toe is way off you can get it closer by aligning it yourself using some string and jackstands or a tape measure. After swapping out the steering rack in the Prelude I set the toe using a tape measure to take it for a real alignment and it was within spec. Of course after getting everything set correctly at the shop there was a noticeable improvement. If anyone is interested I can post the details of these methods.