PDA

View Full Version : altenator installation

smufguy
07-23-2002, 11:46 AM
how do i get the altenator in? it just wont go in.

offthahook
07-23-2002, 12:24 PM
Elaborate. I think the halfshaft has to come out.

doug
07-23-2002, 12:47 PM
well a guy I know did a strange trick and undid the engine mounts and jacked the motor and slipped it up. I hope it's awhile before I have to do one. :)

hondaman87
07-23-2002, 01:50 PM
the easy way is to take the left axle out and the altenator will slide right put

smufguy
07-23-2002, 10:43 PM
sorry i have not given enough details. all i have in the engine bay is the engine and the tranny. all the manifold and stuff is gone. just them. i am doing the efi conversion and i wanna get the altenator in first before anything. so there is sooo much free space and i just wanna slip the altenator in. not take it out but put it back in. the clamps on the sides are a lil tight. what can i do about it?

hondaman87
07-24-2002, 04:07 PM
ok on the mounting braket there are sleeves on the bult area
and you can get a hammer and hammer that sleeve out so it sits flush with the braket, and you can put the altenator w/ease

smufguy
07-24-2002, 09:20 PM
without the sleeve the altenator rocks back and forth. i had to use a crowbar to take off the altenator cause it was pretty tight. and now putting back in is another pain in the ass.

GreenMachine
07-24-2002, 09:56 PM
Maybe try undoing the engine mount and jackin it up a little.

Sorry can't really help more than that mine came in and out, if its stuck in there try some penetrating lube and leave it there overnight. good luck with it man !

shepherd79
07-25-2002, 03:49 AM
try slipping under the intake over to the other side.
you may have wigle a little but it should work. that is how i did on mine. LXI you don't have to do anything, it can be removed from the top.

doug
07-25-2002, 03:49 AM
just take the bracket off the motor and fit the alternator to the bracket, then put the bracket back on the motor. It sounds like the bracket arms are too close together and may need to be spread apart alittle so the alternator can fit in.

86exi
07-25-2002, 06:36 AM
I have changed my alternator twice now. Ok, take the black air intake box off. Once you take it off, you will have a lot of room to take it out and put the new one in. There are 2 bolts you have to loosen. Jack the car up. Take off your driver side wheel. Look underneath and there is a bolt inserted into the bracket. Take that off and look for a lightener bolt. Take that off and the alternator belt. Loosen the ground wire and the harness. It would be easier with pics but this is the best way that I found out?

Good Luck!!

smufguy
07-25-2002, 10:48 AM
OKAY HERE IS THE DEAL. I AM ASKING FOR HOW TO PUT THE ALTENATOR BACK IN AND NOT TAKE IT OUT!!! AND THE OTHER THING I MENTIONED IN THE PREVIOUS REPLY IN THIS SAME THREAD. NOTHING IS IN MY ENGINE BAY EXCEPT THE ENGINE AND THE TRANNY. NO INTAKE AND NO OTHER SHIT. SO IF SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO PUT THE ALTENATOR BACK IN AND KNOWS FOR SURE AND HAVE DONE IT PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I APPRECIATE IT.

by the way, thanks for the idea doug. i thought about it too. but i need a 1/2" drive ratchet. gotta call my friend up.

doug
07-25-2002, 10:54 AM
I'm beginning to get the feeling that this is one of those real serious problem jobs. Call a tow truck and send it to the Honda dealer. :(

Just kidding!