PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up a PS2 in my car???

Mike's89AccordLX
08-14-2004, 04:49 PM
Alright I have the tv hu and all that fun stuff but I was just realizing last night how the heck do you get power to the ps2? Is there some sort of power inverter or something? As many of you know I'm not the brightest when it comes to audio stuff. Just performance, technical, and repairs. So I need your help guys.

AccordAddict
08-14-2004, 06:04 PM
i want to do the same thing. i think you would need a power converter but i dunno what voltages to use. i guess w/e the home socket voltage is to 12v for car. i dunno, umm search google. im sure you'll find lots of installation setups.

k-roy
08-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Just go to radio shack and get a power inverter. It inverts DC power to AC. You can plug it in the cigarette lighter or run a circut for it on your own. I used to have one in my truck and I strait wired it to the fusebox.
I did a quick google and came up with this http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/12_volt_power_inverters.html
that should give you a decent understanding on what you should be looking for.

TheSummoner101
08-30-2004, 04:21 PM
Just go to radio shack and get a power inverter. It inverts DC power to AC. You can plug it in the cigarette lighter or run a circut for it on your own. I used to have one in my truck and I strait wired it to the fusebox.
I did a quick google and came up with this http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/12_volt_power_inverters.html
that should give you a decent understanding on what you should be looking for.
yea i would do the same, but not sure if the amps will matter ?

check the amp output on the inverter, and check the amp rating on the PS2 (on the back or bottom) and make sure u dont give out 2 many amps where it frys ur ps2....

the regular socket in the wall gives out ~120volts not sure about the amps tho, cars i think have 3amps :S

88accordalltheway
08-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Go to target, bestbuy, or radio shack for the power inverters. Im preety sure there all the same volts, but get one that is over 100 watts. If your going to run an xbox, your going to need one with more watts. Now that i think about it, any gaming store should have them. I have one and it powers my ps2 and its attachable screen.

MrBen
08-30-2004, 05:54 PM
You can get the power inverter at Costco for cheap.

jonrichert
08-30-2004, 06:10 PM
yea i would do the same, but not sure if the amps will matter ?

check the amp output on the inverter, and check the amp rating on the PS2 (on the back or bottom) and make sure u dont give out 2 many amps where it frys ur ps2....

the regular socket in the wall gives out ~120volts not sure about the amps tho, cars i think have 3amps :S

you don't have to worry about having too much available current, the only thing is to make sure you have enough power to run the ps2, electronic devices only draw what they need to run.

Sabz5150
08-30-2004, 06:59 PM
you don't have to worry about having too much available current, the only thing is to make sure you have enough power to run the ps2, electronic devices only draw what they need to run.

Correct. A device will only draw the current it needs. However if the voltage is too high, it'll cook right off.