PDA

View Full Version : Ignition and idle problems?

BaTmAnLintz
08-15-2004, 07:09 AM
-I'm looking into buying an '88 Accord LX. It has a couple problems with it, and I was wondering what exactly they are, so I know if it's worth buying.

1.) When I test-drove it, I let up off the gas coming back into the driveway, and it dropped below idle and stalled.

2.) I started it back up for a few minutes and when I switched the ignition off, it still sputtered for a few seconds before actually shutting off.

-I was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly is wrong in these situations. I was told that the ignition switch could be bad, which could be connected to the car dropping below idle. I was also told that the timing is probably off a little, making it drop below idle. Is this stuff fixable at a reasonable price? I can get the car for $800. Is it a good buy?

-Are parts and labor easy to find for these cars? That's another thing I want to watch out for before buying it. I like the car a lot, I'm just doing my research.

thanks
BaTmAn

A20A1
08-15-2004, 07:34 AM
What were the rpms at when you switched the car off?
Too much RPM or if the ignition it too far advanced it will cause the car to sputter / diesel after the car is turned off. You also could be running rich.

Richness could come from a choke problem but I'm really not sure if thats it.

I wish I knew more about it... $500 is a good price if it doesn't drive good...

But if it only have a few minor idile issues I'm sure it's fixable. so $800 is decent.

Parts can sometimes be hard to come by especially for the carbed version, but if you look you'll find them... there are a few links already posted arond this site for general maintenance and such.

accordlxi2.0
08-15-2004, 08:21 AM
if the body is in great condition, without no rust dent's or fade.
then $800 worth.
but that sputtering when you shut the car is either the fuel cut off solenoid or timing way too advanced, or either there is another solenoid, where it control's the disiling.

then the stall could either be a vacuum leak or the throttle controller, is not set at a proper level.

as for part's for the carb , the only thing you can find another carb like that is either the junk yard or jcw.com

if you have mechanic skill's the car is really easy to work on.
just about a year ago i did'nt know jack about honda's but since coming on here, and studying the car's and so fourth.

you can hook it up, but some thing's are'nt availible in the market.

BaTmAnLintz
08-16-2004, 04:10 AM
-So they are problems that can be fixed? I don't want to buy the thing for $800 and then spend more than that getting it running right. It drives fine, the problem only comes in when I'm coming to a stop, and when I try and shut the car off...

-Oh, one more question. What is the stock hp for it? '88 Accord LX

thanks
BaTmAn

shepherd79
08-16-2004, 04:55 AM
it is possible to fix it if you know your way around the engine bay. if you don't know jack shit about cars it will cost you some money to fix it
the problem is with vacuum when it comes to idle, but when you shut the car off and it still running. that motor may have some heavy carbon deposits or ignition is adavanced too far.
the price is not bad if the body in good condition, but i wouldn't give it more than $500-600 max.

PS. it ihas 98hp.

BaTmAnLintz
08-16-2004, 12:04 PM
-Alright, thanks. The guy wouldn't go any lower than $800, so I'll have to stick with that. He's selling for "$1000 obo" and I tried $750 but he won't do it. The body is in good condition, that I can see. I'm going to get it painted a nice blue when I get it. I got the idea from one of the cars on this site. (Don't remember which one)

-I don't know jack about fixing this car, so how much do you think it's going to cost?

Thanks
BaTmAn

accordlxi2.0
08-16-2004, 12:13 PM
hmm
98hp/110lbs of tq.
what pisses me off that the 86 carb has 98hp/111 tq.

those can be fixed, is the body in great condition, what 's the mileage

BaTmAnLintz
08-16-2004, 12:19 PM
-The odometer says 216,000 miles. But the guy said that before he bought it, the lady who had it before him had the engine rebuilt (ran it without oil). He said it's got around 30,000 on the rebuilt engine. Of course... I'm not sure if that's completely true or not. It's just what I was told.

-The body is in good condition (that I've noticed). So obviously nothing major.

BaTmAn

accordlxi2.0
08-16-2004, 05:11 PM
oh man, mine's is in good condition with some rust BUT not alot.
i paid $400, and it has 132,000mi.
but their are way's you can tell, like does he have the reciept, then if that's true it's kinda worth $800