PDA

View Full Version : General Maintenance??

SiZ
08-15-2004, 05:21 PM
I have owned my accord for almost a year, and was wondering..apart from regular oil changes....is there anything else I should be doing to maintain it.
Everyone just tells me to wait until something breaks to fix it but......I know I want to take better care of my car then that. So, do carburators need extra attention..and what exactly should I be doing and how often, to make sure it stays in tip top shape..??
Those maintenance schedules at Honda are only for the new cars.
(This would be my first carb vehicle, obviously :)

k-roy
08-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Carbed cars are more sensitive to fuel, so change both filters yearly. You should check over all the little vacuum lines every few months. Oh and keep the carb clean with some carb cleaner spray. I usually lube up the entire chassis including the locks and hinges 2 or 3 times a year. Coolant should be flushed out and replaced twice a year. The tranny fluid on a 5 speed should be changed every 2 years, probably sonething similar on autos. I get an alignment done with each set of new tires (I go through a lot). Timing belts have a life of about 80,000 miles. Other than that you should just be aware of your car and whats going on, check it over once ever week or 2 to see if there is anything goin on. Oh and keep it washed and waxed frequently.