PDA

View Full Version : Bundle of Problems!!!

TheSummoner101
08-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Hi guys, well i been looking around to get some help, and you guys seem to know your stufF. I already looked through and havn't found a similar problem, so gonna go ahead and ask.....BTW: i have no background knowledge of cars, hardly ever went under the hood of a car...

============================================

okay I recently got a 89 Honda Accord LX; 4door Auto Carb'd has close to 110k miles on it. loving my car for now, but ever since i got it in my driveway, it seems like I run into another problem every day!

Firts it had starting problems, i replaced the starter (cuz original was cracked) replaced the alternater (cuz it was bad) and changed the battery even, juz so i dont get future probs. so even after all that, my car still hessitates to start in the morning (cold or hot weather) i would have to step on the gas to get it to start up.

And when it does start up, i have to wait 5+ minz (literally i timed it) to warm it up, i know its good to do that, but if im in a hurry, im screwed, cuz if i warm it up for any less then 5 min the car will stall whenver i come to a stop! Its annoying, and the drivers behind me get pissed off aswell.

Some1 told me that it might be a vacume prob, i checked all the wires and stuff, found that a cable (going in or out not sure) was broken, could that be a cause? I am hopeing to go get that fixed soon, but i've speant too much money for my budget on this car. i didn't wanna spend that much :( (like $500 after i bought it)

one more thing that the clock resets every time i shut off my car, what could cause that? and every time i go on a bumpy road, the battery light comes on...does that mean i got a loose connection somewhere? i checked the battery cables, they are pretty much tight.....

so can you suggest somethings i should have checked out the next time i take it to a mechanic? or is there something i can do (a car n00b) personally to check for probs and maybe fix it?

any help is appriciated. Thanx in advance.

k-roy
08-15-2004, 08:38 PM
I say get new battery cables. I just had to replace mine since they were not conducting enough juice. That might also fix your clock resetting if there is a bad connection.
As for the starting problem Im not sure thats really a problem. I have to let my carb warm up a few minutes every day or else it does the same crap. I also have to hold down the gas or it doesn't want to start so easy. Oh and where was that broken cable at?

TheSummoner101
08-15-2004, 09:15 PM
thanx, ill try to get the cables replaced, hopefully that might do the trick....

oh my bad, the broken cable was on the distributor. the two small pipes/wires thigis going to it on the top one is broken.....

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Those are not cables! Those are vacuum lines. Replace them or at least cap off the broken ones. If they are left open, they will cause a vacuum leak which may result in various carb problems. Also, the engine will not perform as well with them broken and/or capped because you won't have the correct ignition advance control. Are the little tubes snapped off from the round black thing or are they just cracked/broken where you can simply use a longer vacuum hose to connect them? If they are totally broken off, you will need to get a new vacuum advance diaphragm. Usually the junk yard is the best place to find these. You may also want to get the whole distributor. That way when you decide to replace the diaphragm, you can first disassemble the junk yard piece and figure out how it works. Of course, if the tubes are still attached to the diaphragm, you just need to get some vacuum hose and connect them back. Hope you find this helpful.

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Check fuse #11 in the underhood fuse/relay box for the clock memory. Might also want to inspect, as best as you can, the eletrical connections to the fuse/relay box too. Make sure they're fully plugged in, no loose wires, no frayed or worn insulation.

TheSummoner101
08-16-2004, 05:08 PM
Those are not cables! Those are vacuum lines. Replace them or at least cap off the broken ones. If they are left open, they will cause a vacuum leak which may result in various carb problems. Also, the engine will not perform as well with them broken and/or capped because you won't have the correct ignition advance control. Are the little tubes snapped off from the round black thing or are they just cracked/broken where you can simply use a longer vacuum hose to connect them? If they are totally broken off, you will need to get a new vacuum advance diaphragm. Usually the junk yard is the best place to find these. You may also want to get the whole distributor. That way when you decide to replace the diaphragm, you can first disassemble the junk yard piece and figure out how it works. Of course, if the tubes are still attached to the diaphragm, you just need to get some vacuum hose and connect them back. Hope you find this helpful.
yea they are snapped off of the black round thing. just one, i was thinking of using krazy glue for now, cuz i cant go to junk yard rite now.....

thanx, yes you were very helpful

TheSummoner101
08-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Check fuse #11 in the underhood fuse/relay box for the clock memory. Might also want to inspect, as best as you can, the eletrical connections to the fuse/relay box too. Make sure they're fully plugged in, no loose wires, no frayed or worn insulation.
thanx, will do that right now!

TheSummoner101
08-16-2004, 08:48 PM

EDIT: i did check it, and #11 is for radiator no? i couldn't find the Clock Memory one, but i think my battery cables need to be replaced, ill check that out later this week, and get back to you

thans for the help tho

88LXi/87CRXSi
08-17-2004, 04:21 PM
My manual for a '88 carb shows fuse #9 being for the rad fans, I could be wrong about #11? :dunno: Does your radio lose it's station presets? If not the fuse is ok and the problem is right at the clock. If if you want to check,
my schematic shows a white wire with a yellow stripe at the clock connection that should have 12v+ all the time for the clock's memory. I'm having problems with the clocks in both my cars this summer, the displays work when they feel like it.:mad: Probably bad solder connections like the ones that affect main relays and the vent mode lights in the heater control.

3gn86lxi
08-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Battery light coming on driving down bumpy road, check you grounds; you should have ground wires from your engine to your firewall, at least one. Any cable that could be a ground, pull it off and wire brush the metal that it contacts with.
Do your lights flicker at all?? That will also be a sign of bad grounds. :rockon:

TheSummoner101
08-17-2004, 06:10 PM
My manual for a '88 carb shows fuse #9 being for the rad fans, I could be wrong about #11? :dunno: Does your radio lose it's station presets? If not the fuse is ok and the problem is right at the clock. If if you want to check,
my schematic shows a white wire with a yellow stripe at the clock connection that should have 12v+ all the time for the clock's memory. I'm having problems with the clocks in both my cars this summer, the displays work when they feel like it.:mad: Probably bad solder connections like the ones that affect main relays and the vent mode lights in the heater control.
sorry bro, my bad, it was actually under the hood not under the dash, and it was fuze 11, and it was bad, i replaced it works fine now :D my radio doesn't have presets (not stock, cuz some1 cut out the original relay) and so i got a shitty rampage in there lol. it does however loose all its memory, like the volume settings and the clock setting in there, but im not 2 worried about that

thanx 4 ur help man :)

TheSummoner101
08-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Battery light coming on driving down bumpy road, check you grounds; you should have ground wires from your engine to your firewall, at least one. Any cable that could be a ground, pull it off and wire brush the metal that it contacts with.
Do your lights flicker at all?? That will also be a sign of bad grounds. :rockon:
haha i havn't driven it at nite yet....hehe

ill check the ground wires :) thanx.....i also noticed the battery lite coming on when i floor the car :S at around 4000rpm's the battery light starts to come on....dont know y ((also is it bad 2 rev the car? or go into high rpm's when trying to pass some1..? some1 told me not 2 do that as it is bad for engine, juz making sure lol))

but ill check all the ground cables going to the firewall :)

Ludi Mali
08-17-2004, 06:28 PM
its bad if you go over redline, and its not the best to ride it at high rpms for a long time, but revving to pass someone is ok, i drop it to 3rd all the time on the freeway to pass people, and it revs to 5k+

TheSummoner101
08-17-2004, 07:47 PM
its bad if you go over redline, and its not the best to ride it at high rpms for a long time, but revving to pass someone is ok, i drop it to 3rd all the time on the freeway to pass people, and it revs to 5k+
haha i never red line it, the most i've gone is 6k....i know about the redline that never 2 go in there....so a lil is fine cool :D yea i throw it in D3 to speed up some times lol...dont know if its safe....haha

keruhas184
08-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Take off your airbox and spray some carb cleaner on that mofo... I would also change the spark plugs: get the NGK V-Power ones. Change the fuel filters (and maybe the fuel pump) while you're at it. Every carb needs to warm up before it operates properly. Five minutes sounds right.

The previous owner probably didn't take care of her, and you got the car with all the age related problems. It just needs a tune-up man. I had the same shit happening to my car... just do the tuneup and she'll treat you well later. :)

Oh, and SEARCH is your friend, use it before asking the same old questions.

TheSummoner101
08-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Take off your airbox and spray some carb cleaner on that mofo... I would also change the spark plugs: get the NGK V-Power ones. Change the fuel filters (and maybe the fuel pump) while you're at it. Every carb needs to warm up before it operates properly. Five minutes sounds right.

The previous owner probably didn't take care of her, and you got the car with all the age related problems. It just needs a tune-up man. I had the same shit happening to my car... just do the tuneup and she'll treat you well later. :)

Oh, and SEARCH is your friend, use it before asking the same old questions.
hehe thanx for replying, ill do what u said :) BTW: where would i get NGK plugs? I dont wanna order online....

keruhas184
08-21-2004, 07:39 PM
My local PepBoys carry them. Go there or Autozone, and ask for: NGK V-Power Plugs. Part#: BPR5EY-11# Stock #: 6937

That's the ones you need and are very good all around. If you want the best plugs, go for iridiums: BPR5EIX-11 and 2115 - but they're a lot more expensive.

TheSummoner101
08-21-2004, 07:51 PM
My local PepBoys carry them. Go there or Autozone, and ask for: NGK V-Power Plugs. Part#: BPR5EY-11# Stock #: 6937

That's the ones you need and are very good all around. If you want the best plugs, go for iridiums: BPR5EIX-11 and 2115 - but they're a lot more expensive.
thanx for the help, ill check em out sometime this week :)

TheSummoner101
09-03-2004, 03:57 PM
okay, so i finnally got the engine block grounded properly (found the wire hanging in the engine bay :S) so got that on the valve cover, like its suppose 2 be, but still my lights dim/flicker when driving, then my battery light keeps coming on, at 4k + rpms :( really annoys me! Could there be another problem?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Check your connections on the alternator. REMOVE the wires from the battery before you start poking around the alternator! Check to make sure that the wire harness is plugged in properly and that the wire that is screwed to an external post on the alt isn't loose or corroded. If it all checks out, get the electrical system diagnosed by Autozone or one of the other stores.

rideredorgohome
09-06-2004, 05:15 AM
I have found with many carbed cars you have to step on gas pedal 1x before starting to give it a shot of fuel. I have to with my Accord. Nothing wrong with that. It is the way carbed is sometimes....

'89AccordLX(Rus)
09-06-2004, 07:28 AM
I have found with many carbed cars you have to step on gas pedal 1x before starting to give it a shot of fuel. I have to with my Accord. Nothing wrong with that. It is the way carbed is sometimes....

It is necessary to pump the gas pedal once before starting to set the choke closed. If you don't do that, it will have a hard time starting. Some people (especially those with new or rebuilt carbs) don't need to do this while others find it mandatory.