PDA

View Full Version : coolent?

myaccord7
08-16-2004, 12:00 PM
what are you guys using? waterwetter, purple ice, stop Overheating...? also what kind of thermostat? 160, 180, 220....? anyone have a different rad. cap with more pressure? thanks

zach :sad2:

k-roy
08-16-2004, 12:17 PM
You don't want a higher pressure cap, that can cause leaks in the system. Water wetter from Redline is for racing when you run strait water. Get a 180 degree t-stat if you want it to run the best. All you need to do is run a quality coolant with a 50% mix of water. If you want to upgrade the cooling system I reccomend an aftermarket electric fan, summitracing.com has a good selection. If you want to take the next step you can custom mount an aftermarket radiator from another Honda model. I believe a 2nd gen Integra radiator is about the same size, but has slightly different mounts.

AZmike
08-16-2004, 12:19 PM
I use the standard honda thermostat, a stant 14 psi radiator cap, and prestone mixed 50/50 with distilled water as coolAnt. I haven't had any problems with this setup for the past several years of driving in Arizona.

myaccord7
08-16-2004, 12:21 PM
i did add one fun that i hooked up to a switch that i have on all the time. but i wanted to run cooler, dont know what the best setup was.

zach

DBMaster
08-16-2004, 01:33 PM
I switched over to the "red stuff" (Dexcool) in 1997. It last a lot longer than the standard green stuff. Dexcool is an extended life silicate free coolant. Even on a 100 degree day I never get more than halfway up on the temp gauge. I am using a standard thermostat which is a 195 degree. There is really no benefit to running one with a lower rating. All that number tells you is at what temp the thing opens up. Contrary to popular belief a 180 degree stat will not result in a cooler engine than a 195 degree stat. There is also such a thing as running the engine too cool.

A20A1
08-16-2004, 02:06 PM
To stop overheating you might want to first check that your cooling system isn't leaking is cleanen/flushed and the t-stat and water pump are working, and also that both fans are working... buying extra stuff will do nothing but mask the problem.

I run a leak free %50 coolant %50 water and 2 large OEM fans, I have no overfill tank and haven't lost any coolant.

I use dexcool too...

and unless you increased your compression, or running forced induction, or increased your hp by like 100 I don't think you need the lower temp t-stat.

DBMaster
08-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Yeah, leak-free is the real issue. I have had to replace the radiator (cracked filler neck), but I am still on original hoses. They are in amazingly good shape. I have run synthetic oil since the car was new and it is supposed to reduce engine temps by 20-50 degrees. Maybe it really does and the lower heat has enabled the hoses to last longer - who knows.

As long as the factory fans are operating properly and the system is clean I think these cars have an amazingly good factory cooling system.