PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Questions + NEW PICS !

HondaBoy
05-27-2004, 08:01 PM
ok, the members here on 3geez have said many times in the past that the Pacesetter cat back for the 3gee isnt that great. it supposedly rusts out and has a somewhat restrictive muffler for a performance application. i have decided just to get something custom made by a muffler shop. that will probley be cheaper too. ok, here's what i think may be good. 2 glass pack resinators after the cat, Y it off for the dual exhaust look with a dual tip on each pipe. that what im going for. dont know how good that will sound. pipe size will be 2.25. its either the 2 resinators or 1 flow master, i think 40 series. what y'all think?

Vanilla Sky
05-27-2004, 08:15 PM
hooker areochamber for the muffler, and 2.5 inch piping

Elijah
05-27-2004, 08:27 PM
2.5 might be a bit to big. He is still N/A

Vanilla Sky
05-27-2004, 08:39 PM
eh, that's what i'm goin with, and i'm going NA

88accordhb
05-27-2004, 09:36 PM
yah all you need is the stock cat, resonator and a bomz style muffler and have the shop replace the rest of the piping with 2.25 in piping...if you got a good set of header then use them, i don't see anything wrong with stock ones.

Moodybluesr
05-28-2004, 02:43 AM
I used a glasspack for a resonator with 2.25" pipe back to a Magnaflow XL stainless muffler on my Integra and couldn't be happier. It is just a bit louder than stock with a nice deep tone to it. Of course I am going all out on the Accord and getting a twin-tip Remus. :D

SteveDX89
05-28-2004, 03:15 AM
Ok. The Pacesetter exhaust is exactly what it costs. Cheap. However, they use 16 gauge aluminized steel pipe. That's exactly what a lot of muffler shops use. Pacesetter paints their exhaust with some cheap ass paint in order to "protect" it. This paint burns right off and now you have this pipe exposed to rain and other weather elements. I originally took my car to a muffler shop and had them bend me some pipe. I walked away rather dis-satisfied. The pipe had all kinds of extra bends in it from test fitting. As we all know, the straighter the exhaust, the better. I went ahead and bought the Pacesetter exhaust. I cut the muffler off and used my Dynomax. I also painted the whole exhaust with high temperature paint that I bought from Home Depot. I stripped the old paint, BTW. So now it's one year later through rain, snow, sleet and there's is only a small bit of surface rust of the flanges. The pipe has no rust. My advice, get the Pacesetter, cut their muffler off and sell it (I sold it for 30 bucks on eBay), get your own muffler and tip on. Then paint the whole thing except for the tip if it's chrome. Install and BAM!!!

unc25
05-28-2004, 05:39 AM
When the time comes, I plan on doing 2.25" with a resonator and a CF muffler with a slight angle or just straight I havent really decided that yet.

sl103
05-28-2004, 10:28 PM
My company FiTec Designs is building an exhaust for the Accords 4dr for now. But looking for a 2dr protype in the central IL area. We are giving the customer a few options but here is the standard exhaust system setup. We also have many muffler options.

FiTec Designs Cat Back System Stage 1
-2.25 in Mild Steel Mandrel Bent
-New Flanges and Gaskets
-1500 Degree High Temp Ceramic Coating
-Hangers
-Your choice of muffler design
-$300 shipped to your door

or
FiTec Designs Cat Back System Stage 2
-2.25" Mandrel Bent Stainless Steel
-Polished Piping
-All Stainless Steel Construction
-Hangers
-Your Choice of Muffler Design
-$450 shipped

Just thought i would share.
Shawn

HondaBoy
05-28-2004, 11:16 PM
well there's some ideas right there, but i'd like to see more. i havent had time today to go to any muffler shops. i'm looking to spend under $200 on the exhuast, not including new cat and header. i could have made one myself in my shop class at school, but it would have been with a crease bender, not nice mandrel bends. those machines are pretty expensive. all the muffler shops around here use only mandrel bending processes. so no worries about that. ok, have y'all seen BMW M3's with dual tips, right and left sides. thats how i want it. its more personal preference than anything else. i dont like the big ass round mufflers or single tip ones.
ok, here's a pic of the M3 exhaust tips i'm talking about. maybe someone else will see why i want that look. ok. well thats what i plan to settle on. but i dont know what muffler i will put on, it should be able to be hidden from view.
http://carad.ebayimg.com/i13/02/a/01/cf/7c/f0_4.JPG

Robs89LXi
05-29-2004, 02:44 AM
Hey, Shawn. Think you might make them available in 2.5" as well?

sl103
05-31-2004, 03:36 PM
yes we can get any kind of metal the 304SS is really nice. I should be picking up that accord in a week or so. I will make a test pipe and cat back for sure. Also may look into making headers. The great thing about 304ss is pretty nice to work with especially when we use the SS wire for the MiG. I priced out a TIG welder that will do everything that sits right at about $2k!!!! Its a great investment though. The MIG is just fine i have been welding for about 3 yrs now. So my skills are pretty good. I can do much more with a TiG Welder but just need to cough up the 2k to get it. This is why i gave the option of the SS and the Mild. Aluminzed steel sucks to weld with and its really crappy material. It stinks alot and doesnt make very good bonds. The SS is alitte more pricey but its well worth the extra money for an exhaust system that wont rust out. We have several mufflers to choose from. I am working on the FiTec Designs part of the website but i have really busy running around, polishing, powdercoating, and doing installs here at my shop. Ill make mine with 304SS in a 2.25 will probably sell mine because i want to turbo mine. Who knows i have to get my 600hp Z ready by next Z convention in Cali. The honda is nice that i looked at body is nice its blue i thought it was black but a 5spd. Blue interior had about 190,000 something pretty high mileage. Going to transfer my VW wheels over and clean it up alittle bit. Thats all for now.

Shawn

HondaBoy
08-17-2004, 04:21 PM
ok, well i'm ready to get the new exhaust. i know what diameter i want and the tip style. that would be 2 1/4 in pipe with dual tip's left and right. already got the layout where to Y it off. but the thing is muffler choice is a bitch because there's not a lot of room. the plan as of now is to go with a 24in pack up where the resinator is now and a 12 or 16 in pack before the Y. i was thinking that it may still be kinda loud, even with 2 glass packs. but then again there's not much room for anything else but the regular fart cans. anyone got suggestions if you've done the dual outlet Y'ed off? i can get 2 turbo mufflers, but i really dont want them visable. maybe i'll have to go with those? the flowmaster 40 and 60 series are still kinda big. help me out. i dont want that buzzy sound, but then i guess that can usually come from stock size pipe with just a free flow muffer added. oh, and the guy was throwing in 2 SS tips. they are nicer than the other ones i've looked at too.

geesnow
08-17-2004, 04:29 PM
dual chrome tips on an accord???

HondaBoy
08-17-2004, 04:42 PM
yeah, i dont like the so called "rice" look that the big round mufflers have. i want more of a sporty Euro exhaust look. here's the type of tip i'll be getting. those usually go for $50-$70. oh, and they're not chrome.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/tips/gifs/35168.jpg

DLB
08-17-2004, 06:12 PM
I think that looks pretty good. Where you getting it at?

AccordAddict
08-17-2004, 07:34 PM
wow that would be an expensive exhaust right? how much is it? what brand exhaust are you getting or is it just the muffler shops brand?

HondaBoy
08-18-2004, 03:11 PM
its at a local place called Longoria's. each dual tip usually goes for about $60, online i found em for about $56, but that isnt with S&H. i think each muffler is about $25. then i'll have SS 2 1/4 inch pipe from the cat all the way back. in all it will cost me $300 flat, he's not adding sales tax which is great. i've already cut out the arch on the left side to match the right side. i'm going for the looks M series BMW's have. i got the money to go do it, so tomorrow i will try getting that done. i was going to see how much a new cat would be since mine is 17 years old. i should just punch it out a little even thought its not legal. they dont do the exhaust gas testing here, yet, but i was thinking having a cat is still a good thing. maybe i'll change it up when i get the header. i'm thinking the cat is clogged or something because it gets really hot right under the shifter where it is, and the heat shield is still there. ok, so if i do get this done i'll be sure to take some pix.

A20A1
08-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Dual pipes from a true Y is good, then to 2 tips.
If the Y is more like a T or doesn't split the flow evenly you'll end up with one pipe getting all/most of the exhaust and the other pipe only slightly getting exhaust...

Also the uneveness of the pipe lengths could cause gas to be sucked in one pipe... but I may be dreaming that one up...

NXRacer
08-18-2004, 03:20 PM
a small turbo muffler will fit underneath your car enough so they wont show too bad.

HondaBoy
08-18-2004, 04:26 PM
yeah, i'll have to see if they have some small turbo mufflers there. but where it would sit on the left doesnt leave much room for anything but pipe. i know a few guys have done dual pipes, but i've never seen the actual pipe under the car, just the mufflers at the end. if they have some slim mufflers, i'll see if they will be as much as it is now. they would need to be not more than 4 1/2 inches tall or so, maybe less. the tips outlet diameter is 3 in. fitting anything under that damn tire well isnt easy. i'd like to get rid of it but i dont want to be going into doing body work right yet.

AccordAddict
08-18-2004, 06:50 PM
What is a turbo muffler? More advanced than the normal rice mufflers or something? i have a $100 3A Racing Muffler and i see these magnaflow turbos for like 50, so are these half priced mufflers better?

A20A1
08-18-2004, 07:18 PM
He may be referring to the Choice muffler a few members have used to replace the dinky Monza muffler found on pacesetters cat back system...

It's a Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.

If you want a Turbo Muffler.... it will only be for looks... large diameter mufflers really wont help since the exhaust gas is cooler near the end of the exhaust so you want to keep the diameter small to keep velocity up...
2.25 is really all you need

most turbos are in the 2.5" to 3.0" + range.

AccordAddict
08-18-2004, 07:19 PM
so they are about the same or even better than the big ricey ones? well.. i think im still gonna stick to my fart cannon for now lol.

HondaBoy
08-19-2004, 03:32 PM
ok, so i finally got the new exhaust. its been long enough, so here's the pix i took.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_301_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_302_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_303_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_304_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_305_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_306_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/347392_307_full.jpg

88accordalltheway
08-19-2004, 04:30 PM
very very very nice, game me a hard on. :kekeke: brb gotta go to the bathroom. ;)

crwa
08-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Kinda cool... but why does the driver side tip point upward???

HondaBoy
08-19-2004, 06:52 PM
yeah, i noticed that. i'll probley take it back and see if they will make the right side point a hair more up. the left side is because the pipe had to clear the stupid spare tire well. either way, it looks pretty good. i was going for M3 style outlets.

HondaBoy
08-19-2004, 08:45 PM
a turbo muffler is a little more than the "fart can". its more than a fancy glass pack. they usually have high exhaust gas flow while actually muffling the sound. so they are most times quieter than import mufflers. as for my decision, i went with what i planned out. 2 1/4 in pipe from the cat back, one 24 in or so glass pack and one 12 in. then to a real Y out to the 2 SS dual tips. looks pretty good. i posted pix in the pix section. sounds nice also. the guy took it down the parking lot. he said it has pretty good pick up. although it was quite hot an humid which makes performance go way down. tomorrow night i'll see hows it goes. the little bit i drove it tonight felt pretty nice. not a big ass gain of power like a new cam or head does. but definately noticeable as i can feel myself being pressed a bit harder into the seat. it isnt terribly loud either. quieter than most of my friends cars. has a deep sound to it, lets just say its nice. i'll have to show it off tomorrow and the weekend down town where all the car guys hang out.

oh, i thought if someone didnt get it, SS isnt like SS camero. its abriviation for Stainless Steel.

unc25
08-19-2004, 10:22 PM
good job on a different setup, now the question is, how does it sound?
What are you using for a muffler?

88accordalltheway
08-19-2004, 11:04 PM
unc, i think its magnaflow, since it says it on one of the tips. Unless hes some fag that gets shitty ass mufflers and nice tips. But i think hes smarter than that. ;)

Busted_Blue
08-20-2004, 12:21 AM
:thumbdown

A20A1
08-20-2004, 02:40 AM
Nice... I would have dropped both tips below the bumper then filled in the gap for the original muffler... then add on a lip to lower the rear and make 2 new identical cutouts...

It's a lot better looking then this one... the tips are too big and they stick out too far.

Vinny
08-20-2004, 05:03 AM
tips are too big and too close together to make it look right. The tilting up doesnt help either. Also not a big fan of tips that extend out past the bumper line.

PortugalFocus
08-20-2004, 05:14 AM
I like the look of the 2 tips, but quads? Leave that for Vettes and Camaros.

Nice n shiney though.

NXRacer
08-20-2004, 07:32 AM
keep the dual exhaust for something with more then 4 cylinders.

accordlxi2.0
08-20-2004, 08:19 AM
i think that looks tight!!

superaccord
08-20-2004, 11:21 AM
yuck!

maxoutracer
08-20-2004, 01:46 PM
dual exhaust? well it's would work good on v6 but for 4 banger single muffler will be good enought... but this comes down personal perferneces

HondaBoy
08-20-2004, 01:55 PM
its got 2 magnaflow mufflers. i think they are called fast packs, basicly a glass pack. there's one long one where the stock resinator went and one kinda where the rear section would bolt to the middle section, more or less under the rear tire. then to a real Y, out to the 2 tips. it does sound good. i didnt think it would sound that nice, but it sounds much like a aerospeed muffler, kinda deep and not all buzzy or farty. i took it back today because i knew i was hearing a leak. it was a small bit that didnt get welded, so they got right on it. now all the sound is in the back where i should be. the leak was near the cat so it was kinda loud in the car, now its not too bad.

AccordAddict
08-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Man that is very unique! never seen that on an accord before. they look better than i thought they would. could you get a pic of the underside of your car, like the pipes and all. wanna see the piping!

AccordAddict
08-20-2004, 04:35 PM
did you say 24" and a 12" MUFFLER??? WTF! thats crazy. although when i got my exhaust done today i say a huge ass 3ft muffler off a truck. is that what your talking about? i'd think it'd hit the ground. does it make it louder or quieter?

A20A1
08-20-2004, 07:24 PM
There is a guy from altered creations with duals as well but I can't find his pics... he has neon flames on his hood and on his hood scoop which is off the special edition toyota rav-4 I believe.

...darkhonda89.. still can't find his new pics, I think the links are broken

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=5812
here is a thread about tips.

HondaBoy
08-20-2004, 11:24 PM
i think the case is about 4 in. round. yeah, those are what most guys would put on their trucks. i have to say it kinda quiet, but not so quite you cant hear it. its pretty audible. it has this really nice deep tone. i'd like to hear it out of the car, but i'm really picky about letting anyone drive my car. in the car, its not too loud, but i'm sure it could get anoying. here's the link to the pix. i should take some pix of the actual piping to give y'all an idea. i could have done this a bit cheaper, but those tips were nice.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37320

racerx
08-21-2004, 08:07 AM
dang that is nice! if you were going for the Euro look, I'd say you got it.
let's see some pics of the piping! no one ever shows that. :mad:

but all in all, I'd say awesome job! smooth.

speedpenguin
08-21-2004, 07:59 PM
i want piping pics...

HondaBoy
08-25-2004, 10:49 AM
yeah, when i get a chance i'll take some pix of the actual piping. maybe when i have the back jacked up or something. it sounds good also because the exhaust comes out pretty equally for each side. i'm glad it doesnt sound like every other honda with a fart can. lol.

racerx
08-25-2004, 01:32 PM
i'm glad it doesnt sound like every other honda with a fart can. lol.

AMEN!

HondaBoy
08-27-2004, 10:34 AM
i havent really taken my car out and tried it out. yesterday i took it on the freeway and it seem to get up to speed easier and quicker definately. i really noticed it pull better when i let it have it comming out of the turn around. being the driver i cant feel the push much, but seeing how much more quickly the speedo gets up is pretty much it. maybe tonight i can get a race, i dunno. my friend wants to see how his audi does against the 3gee. also, another thing i noticed that's nice, right under the shifter i guess where the cat is doesnt get hot. it used to get really warm where my right leg is, now its not doing that so thats all good.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-27-2004, 11:14 AM
i have to say it, im sorry

:rice:

PS- the picture in your avator is a red accord, that one is gray. whats up with that? "U LEAD'N ME ONNNN????" :lol: :bong:

HondaBoy
08-28-2004, 11:24 AM
where is a gray accord? i dont have one. i have 2 gold ones though. adjust the color on your screen i guess.

AccordAddict
08-28-2004, 01:34 PM
yeah... the pictures of the car with exhaust has a seatle silver paint job, and your avatar car is red. is the car in your avatar YOUR car???

keruhas184
08-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Just installed a 2.5" catback (stock cat, no header) with a dynomax muffler and a 3" tip: sounds NICE!! I wouldn't have been happy with a resonator on it. It sounds nice and deep 1800-2100rpm, and after 3k you can't even hear it. Just the way I wanted it. :rockon: Oh, i think a gained like 2 ponies... I'll post a few pics soon.

A20A1
08-30-2004, 09:58 AM
looks like an Accord euro R or type r

accordlxi2.0
08-30-2004, 10:23 AM
nice, i was thinking, going back to that shop once i'm back on my feet, have them size up the exhaust from the cat back, no resonator or muffler, and get a dual tip from autozone.

when my 86' muffler fell off, i liked how it sound.

Oyvind Ryeng
08-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Sorry, but I'm really not liking this. The 3G is short of a cylinder bank to be allowed to have dual dual exhaust tips. Dual-dual belongs to longitudinal-mounted V6- and V8's.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-30-2004, 12:07 PM
dont people put duals on vw bugs all the time?

HondaBoy
09-01-2004, 08:34 PM
yeah, people put dual exhausts on old beetles. but they came stock with duals. thats because they have the H 4 engines, boxer 4, flat 4, whatever suits you. and its because they have 2 banks of 2 cylinders. but anyway, my 3gee is Champagne Beige, the 6th gen is Naples Gold Metalic. there is a Seattle silver 3gee down the street from me though. like i said, adjust your screens colors or something. also, the pix were taken kinda in the shade.... oh i forgot to mention i gained some good top end torque that showed itself off today when i was trying to pull out onto the busy road. it was wet, but its quite a grippy road too. anyway, now its "broken in" as you might say. sounds really good. i know it doesnt sound like any 4 cylinder i've heard in a car. too deep, but ya know its the A20.

MIK3
09-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Eh. Not of my liking. I prefer to keep 4 cylinders per exaust pipe. Heh. But its what you like that matters, at least you didn't over do it like I've seen before...

AccordAddict
09-02-2004, 07:28 PM
so are you gonna get pictures of the piping soon?

HondaBoy
09-02-2004, 07:37 PM
well we've had some shitty weather with clouds and now rain. if it gets sunny as hell again like it usually is i'll get some pix probley on the weekend. that's when i'll have time. i swear, this is one of the best sounding exhausts on a 4 cylinder i've heard. just doesnt have that certain tone that most 4's have, the "fart can" sound. from what i can hear, i'd give it a sound between a impreza WRX turbo with sport exhaust mixed with a dodge cummins diesel. not choppy like the WRX, but like the deep tone and kinda sound like the dodge but not as loud. i dunno, it should be the new trend. lol.

blahblahblah
09-03-2004, 10:13 AM
I like it...Needs to be a little more flush with the bumper for me.... Im thinking about doing this....