PDA

View Full Version : New accord user, oh and check my mods

Res Rocket '88
08-17-2004, 07:38 PM
:rockon: Hahahaha, so hey, I'm new here to 3geez, I'd gotten an '88 LX 5-Speed a couple of months back and it's alternator was dead, I had that replaced and then my clutch blew out and my transmission got toasted so I was without it for a long time while it was being repaired by an incompetent mechanic my grandmother knows.

During this time I decided to start learning about cars so I could work on them myself. I don't know much about Accords because I had always dreamed of buying my uncle's '66 Mustang. But slowly I began to fall in love with my little '88. Anyway, I'm just looking for comments on what I've done and suggestions for things I may do.

I built a custom ignition for myself with some speaker wire and a light switch that's bolted to my console and that's pretty fun. I was also having problems with my throttle sticking and it almost killed me a couple times, so the only thing I could think of to fix that was to take off my air cleaner and bolt the mesh over the venturies with the help of the o ring that keeps the air cleaner housing from rubbing and connect a heavy duty spring to the arm on the throttle and the other end to the screw that comes off the head cover that the cleaner housing bolts to. I don't want to drive it like this for long (Though I kinda do because since I've taken off the air cleaner I've noticed a severe performance boost, but maybe that's just me) but since I can't put on the original air cleaner with the spring there, I got some 4 inch PVC pipe that fits PERFECTLY (Suprisingly) over the O ring on my carb and I want to make my own little ram air shaker kinda deal with it. I need help figuring out how to get a filter in the PVC and figuring out what would be the best way to get my hood popped out, I was thinking about just cutting out a little rectangle over the carb and then welding a section of aluminum or something across it to make a little swoop kinda thing or something but I'm rather new to car customizations so any help would be much appreciated, sorry about the lengthy post.

Sean

A20A1
08-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Sounds good... I had some throttle stick problems, clean/rebuild the carb and lube the bearings and don't overtighten the trottle shaft nuts and it should be fine.
Here are some custom intakes...
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=15496

The carb opening is more like 3.5" and I had a few domestic syle air cleaners over the carb, but you need to add the hood scoop or cowl to get the clearance you need.

Careful that you disasemble the carb top hat before welding to it, if that what you are doing.. the float is plastic, and there are rubber o-rings inside the float valve.

88accordalltheway
08-17-2004, 10:54 PM
welcome, preety cool mods.