PDA

View Full Version : Question about water inside the CAI...

AQcz
08-18-2004, 11:38 AM
I just put a short ram in a week ago. Thinking about putting a CAI (searched and saw the integra 90-93 model should fit) Should've did that from the beginning, if I'm going to I want to get it done before Sept while I still have more free time then I will. Some say it doesn't need any modification (1988starter in a topic), a few others say it does? I dunno.

Anyway my main question is how do you get water inside the CAI?

I could see it if you live in a place like florida where the draining system is terrible and it could flood high enough after 5 minutes of raining to reach the bumper, but in a place like NYC I can't really remember seeing it flood that bad in a while where it would seem threatening. (maybe some side streets, LI, etc..., but you would avoid those streets with or with a CAI under those conditions anyway).

So what I'm asking is are the dangers of water that are referred to when talking about a CAI mainly from flooding or is some other way meant also? I don't know what other way it could be besides flooding, but like my first three words I don't know.

Other than that I have a question for the cold climate people. Is snow a factor in the winter?

Thanks

AccordAddict
08-18-2004, 12:10 PM
you have to get a bypass filter. it costs between $10-90. most are usually like $25 . Water can get in your CAI at anytime it rains from puddles and screw up your intake. you must have a bypass if you have the wheel well removed but if you have the wheel well still there and its in it you dont need a bypass unless you do live in a place like florida

shepherd79
08-18-2004, 12:31 PM
by pass valve is a simple and cheap way to assure that your engine won't suck water and damage itself.
i paid $25 for AEM bypass filter on ebay. it takes a lod of my mind when i drive during the rain.

AQcz
08-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Ok, thanks for the info

For the record does the integra cai need modification or not and which is better one piece or two piece?

On another note, why is it that every intake on eBay is in California? Would be nice to find one closer to NY. Can't be that hard. They always O.D on the shipping charges, but I'm not even complaining about that. They take 2-3 days to ship and then send ups ground which takes about 7 more days.

Bloodlust
08-18-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm guessing that there are just most businesses out of California or there are the people who are the wholesalers of those products. Sucks because they have to pay a 7% sales tax out there so i dont know why they dont choose to move to another state.

AQcz
08-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Yea that's true

Well if anyone has the answer to my question about will the integra CAI fit without mod let me know.

I'm getting mixed messages. In some it says no mods are needed, some say slight mods, others say you only need to make the hole in the car a little bigger if the piping is bigger than 2.5 inches.

Thanks

shepherd79
08-19-2004, 05:15 PM
well, as far as i know. nothing is will fit perfect if it is not made for our cars. Even when it is bade for our cars, sometimes it doesn't fit.
so ones in the awhile you have to fabricate a few things.

AQcz
08-20-2004, 12:49 PM
Yea thats true. Well I have one on the way we'll see what happens

Kevin
08-20-2004, 09:48 PM
I love this thread!! Ok i live in Florida. I have a AEM one piece CAI and i have never sucked up water. MY filiter sits right in front of the front tire and is not protected by a splash guard. Once in the years i have lived did i have a problem. The car just stuttered for a couple seconds. Just really depends on location.