PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Options/Questions

AccordAddict
08-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Ok im planning on getting a full exhaust these next two weeks. what is the best size of piping without losing power, 2.25" right? what if you go 2.50??? anyways ill be getting the 2.25" piping from the cat back this friday. i dont know if i should gut the cat or remove it or keep it stock. what would be the best decision? i know removing it is probably the best for performance but i want to stay kinda legal. what exactly was "gutting" the cat, does it increase flow= horsepower? and then the next friday i will probably get a pacesetter header, those run for like $150 right? and does anyone know the average installation price in a shop? opinions please and help me out, thanks!

A20A1
08-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Don't gut the cat... get a high-flow or replacement test-pipe... or get a header back exhaust with no cat.

This is basicly how it works..
INCREASED EXHAUST VELOCITY = MORE POWER
INCREASED SIZE = MORE POWER
HOWEVER
INCREASED SIZE = DECREASE EXHASUT VELOCITY
DECREASED SIZE = INCREASED EXHAUST VELOCITY

Best thing to do is find the balance, based on engine displacement and rpm.
So far 2.25 has proven itself to be the best all round exhaust size.

2.25 will match the pacesetter header, going larger will DECREASE exhaust velocity... only go larger if you intend to run turbo or high rpm naturaly aspirated... like 7,000 rpm - 10,000 rpm. If not you don't need it.

You'll have to call around your area to find the average.

AccordAddict
08-18-2004, 07:06 PM
well for this first week or two ill be running a cat back 2.25" piping, and the header has 1.75" outlet, or 2.0" outlet??? so i wont feel much more power right, unless i get the header the next week? ok and about the cat. i dont wanna spend another hundred on that so what do you tink would be the best decision for my position? remove the cat and put a pipe in place? and if i gut the cat will that probably decrease power?

A20A1
08-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Leave the cat alone untill you can do something to replace it... you say you want to stay legal, so stay legal.

Stock is 1.75"

I would get the header first... then install the header and get the catback all at once.

AccordAddict
08-18-2004, 07:16 PM
well if i would get ALOT more performance by removing the cat i would do it. how much more increase in horses do you think it will give if i replace it with a "test pipe?"

AccordAddict
08-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Oh and whats this about the pacesetter balljoint making noise? do you remove it if it does? what are the dangers of removing it or does it not matter if its there or not?

A20A1
08-18-2004, 07:49 PM
ball joint is stiffer / has less flex so it transfers more vibration thru the exhaust sytem.

AccordAddict
08-18-2004, 07:50 PM
so is it good or bad if it gets removed?

Ludi Mali
08-18-2004, 07:54 PM
its best to replace it with a flex pipe. If you just remove it and replace it with a strait pipe you'll vibrate your way to a new exhaust. And definately get the whole system put on at the same time, you'll save money on labor.

AccordAddict
08-18-2004, 07:55 PM
how much more $ is that to replace with an f'ing flex pipe?

A20A1
08-18-2004, 08:16 PM
You don't have to replace it... you never know you could get lucky and your pipe wont make that much noise, or it will be hardly noticable and you wont care about it.

If you get the header from pacesetter and then you nottice that it makes too much noise for you then go about replacing it.

Ludi Mali
08-19-2004, 02:09 PM
it cost me 50 to get it replaced

AccordAddict
08-19-2004, 06:50 PM
ok thanks for the info.

AccordAddict
08-20-2004, 04:22 PM
YAY i got my 2.25" Cat Back System today! next is headers and high flow cat. this sounds sweet!