PDA

View Full Version : weird clutch problem!!!!!!!

shepherd79
08-19-2004, 07:49 AM
ok, well, for some unknown reason my pressure plate caved in on me. the pedal was on the floor and it won't come up. which means pressure plate didn't want to pop back out.
so i removed the tranny, and yes, the pressure plate is stuck in open (pushed in) position. so i was well, i may as weel change it (got another cheap one from autozone, free one, lifetime warranty rulles). so as soon as i remove all the bolts, that SOB poped back out. I don't know what could cause it to be stuck in first place. i have no clue. i am changing anyway.
anyone know what could it be?
thanks.

keruhas184
08-19-2004, 07:59 AM
could it be you burning tires at every stoplight? :D

thegreatdane
08-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Too far pressed in combined with shitty quality?

shepherd79
08-19-2004, 08:15 AM
it has nothing to do with me burning rubber.
i know it is shitty quality, but it shouldn't be doing it.

k-roy
08-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Its a POS.
Just out of curiousity what brand was it and how many miles did you have on it?

shepherd79
08-19-2004, 11:47 AM
it is autozone brand, what ever they carry. i had about 15K on it.

racerx
08-19-2004, 12:40 PM
hmm... i had a friend who's clutch wouldn't pop out on his 4G accord. we just filled up the clutch fluid and pumped the pedal until it sat at it's normal position again.

... at least I think that's what we did... :D

so you're saying as soon as you finished unbolting those 6 12-point 10mm bolts, the pressure arm things just went *doink* and popped back out? Check your release bearing. Maybe it's putting too much pressure on it?

I wouldn't buy another autozone PP though, seeing as how that's what screwed you over the first time. I know it may be cheaper and have a warranty, but you're still gonna have to do the labor the next time it busts. I would get an exedy one on eBay or from ProLine. Their stuff is factory direct, so it's good an cheap too. If you don't have one out there, I can order it for you.

nswst8
08-19-2004, 12:55 PM
I have the same one in mine put it in back in Nov 03 no problems at all except for not adjusting the cable. I would expect that your adjustment needs to be tweaked.

shepherd79
08-19-2004, 01:13 PM
i can't afford new clutch right now, since i have some bills coming up soon.
so i am going cheap way. it never happened to me before, so i don't know what could it be.

shepherd79
08-20-2004, 01:32 PM
A little update:
well, it wasn't the clutch or pressure plate or anything else. it was clutch cable. it got rusty inside, and stretched. and i am sure it is broken somewhere in the middle.
anyway, new cable is in, new clutch is in. will be running again tonight.

skull1441
08-21-2004, 06:31 AM
i really hope u dont get autozone clutch next time

racerx
08-21-2004, 07:02 AM
good to know. how's it running?

777accord
08-21-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm also having a problem with my clutch but I'm not sure if it's in the process of burning out. I just changed it about 5 months ago and now its doing the same; it will shift but it takes forever to gain any speed, hell,I can't even drive it on the freeway! so,could it be a burned out clutch?

shepherd79
08-21-2004, 02:23 PM
try adjusting the clutch cable, loosen it up a little.

PS. i am still working on it. i don't have time to finish it, and yes i am running another autozone clutch. they are free so why not.

777accord
08-25-2004, 12:44 AM
that's just it I adjusted the cable b-cuz my clutch pedal would go all the way down and still didnt make much of a diffrence. So I was thinking of upgrading my clutch to a phase-2 clutch witch is a little pricy and doing the job myself again. tell me if it would be worth it please?

racerx
08-25-2004, 07:51 AM
well, if you're thinking about making 450 horsepower with an A20 (which I'd love to see), then go for it! But i doubt anybody is going to make that much horsepower out of a 3G... :(

stage 2 is good for engines with a LOT of power. stage 1 is a decent upgrade for anyone looking to do some mods that won't more than double the original HP (i.e. 200-240HP in our car). this upgrade is usually done to insure you always have enough clamping force for the amount of power you have.

stage 1 clutch's are usually not too much less streetable than stock, but stage 2 is where it starts to get grabby and annoying after a while.

777accord
08-28-2004, 09:02 AM
thanks for the tip I might just take your advice and get a stage 1 clutch.