PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze in oil!!!!

Locutus
08-19-2004, 01:24 PM
I know the ominous meaning of this in most cases, but is there any other way this could happen besides a fucked head gasket? Are there any oil cooler lines or anything like that I am missing that may be crossed?

86LXItooFAST4me
08-19-2004, 01:31 PM
could be numerous things, but the head gasket is the cheapest and you gotta pull your head off anyway to make sure there are no cracks or warpness. i dont believe there are any oil lines that would even put oil in the antifreeze, on anycar... but have fun though :D

Locutus
08-19-2004, 01:34 PM
The head was checked and rebuilt by a reputable machine shop here in town. This is a rebuilt engine so I can only assume my brother didn't torque the head down properly but I wanted to make sure before I tore this thing half way down.

86LXItooFAST4me
08-19-2004, 01:43 PM
well to be safe, thats the only thing to do is tear it down. and heads are funny like that, i had a head fixed on a well know mechanic also. it was a pin hole in #4 exhaust on my yota, two weeks later the fucker was worse. the mechanic was VERY sorry about it to, i ended up getting a rebuilt head for like 30 bucks cuz he thought i was getting a shop to put the head on. labor cost money :D

AccordAddict
08-19-2004, 06:57 PM
how much was it to get your head gasket changed?

k-roy
08-19-2004, 11:20 PM
how much was it to get your head gasket changed?
Expect to pay between $400 - $600
Also a new water pump ($26) and timing belt ($30) is allmost a nessesity at that point.

Locutus
08-20-2004, 01:27 PM
I am expecting to do the work myself. The head gasket is about 40 bucks. Timing belt, water pump oil pump all that is new. What I am not sure about is do I have to remove the intake, or can the head and intake be lifted off as a whole unit?

86LXItooFAST4me
08-20-2004, 03:36 PM
I am expecting to do the work myself. The head gasket is about 40 bucks. Timing belt, water pump oil pump all that is new. What I am not sure about is do I have to remove the intake, or can the head and intake be lifted off as a whole unit?

yes they can, infact its way easier to leave the intake on. IMO