PDA

View Full Version : Guess whose Gold Top B20A started with thanks to Gregg, Carot, Adam, Rob and Garrett

skiingco
08-19-2004, 02:03 PM
:uh: :rockon: :bow: :cool: :tongue: :jaw: I am almost too embrassed to mention what the final problem was....the right side connector on the coil was reversed, and I now know the hard way, causes the coil to put out a big fat ZERO spark. The upside is I became familiar with the four possible options the B20A can run:
stock wiring, teg dist and cyl sensor with stock ECU=Carot
stock wiring, dist = Adam and I
modified wiring with USDM Lude igniter, PK2 ECU=Gregg
JDM ECU and Dist=Garrett

The good news to all this is the Accord and Lude Vacuum Adv. Eng Harnesses and ECUs are close enough to use these methods for dropping the B20A in the 3Gen Accords(?) and Ludes

I am going to start collecting pics as I work through the issues of the alternator, shafts and power steering. Once working, I will review pics that apply to my lude and what worked on the accords. It is worthwhile for the Accord owners, because we already know the A20 is similar to the BT. Now, I just need to check the shafts on the 86 Lude A2K5 5Sp as I mix a 3Gen Lude shaft with my 86 Long to see what will work on the JDM B2K5 and JDM intermediate that came with my B20A.

More than two years, and I can safely say I am over the hump and I could not have done it without this site and all of your patience and help. I will continue to share my progress.
Chris

Vinny
08-19-2004, 02:12 PM
good to hear Chris. Congrats on getting the beast running. Make sure you get those pics up soon. I know you cant wait ti share all the hard work you've done with the rest of us

adams86lxi
08-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Thats awesome news chris! Thats good that the problem wasnt anything big at all just something easy to fix. Let me know when you get that thing on the road and how it perfroms. And if you get that jdm dist working tell me about it because i want to do that to mine too some time. Thanks for giving me props man too. Im just glad i could help you out. Hope you have fun with it!

RobT5580
08-19-2004, 06:58 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for you!

AccordEpicenter
08-22-2004, 03:43 PM
hell yea... thats awesome. I think the worst reason ive never had a swapped engine not run was because we had our firing order FUBAR

skiingco
05-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Ok,

I left and am back. I aquired the correct engine mount as well as another JDM Dist and Alternator. So, I have to go back and try to remember the wiring Gregg walked me through on the pinouts. I want to get this running again before leaving in late Sep

b20a86lude
05-22-2005, 03:38 PM
yo your back did u ever have a cjance ot find any lude stuff and if so i hope u picked me up something for my lude to anywayts call me up sometime 704 891 2622 and we will get together again thnx for givin me props

skiingco
06-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Gare, good to hear from you. I bought another JDM Dist with the engine mount. Basically, I will start playing around again in a few days. I am trying to do the P2K route versus stock intake with teg dist and my stock dist.

skiingco
06-25-2005, 08:48 PM
well, two months after getting back from Iraq and finishing items on the house, I am moving back to the Honda. I took off the intake and wire harness to expose the engine and get the JDM mount put in and JDM Alt with the narrower pulley. I am taking pictures to send to one of the administrators. I think it will help to show what the mounts look like in my 2d Gen Lude since the OEM is so close to the same year Accord. Once the engine is FINALLY mounted properly with the right Alt, I can move back to the PK2 setup. Carot, any lessons learned on your conversion from vac. adv to PK2 will help. Did you and Gregg ever figure out a way to insert the pins on the wires into the ECU without out damaging the tiny retention clip on the individual wire?

carotman
06-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Well, I don't have any problems with the PK2 conversion at all.

The only thing I've been experiencing is a bit of hesitation after driving at a constant speed of 80 km/h. I think it's related to the O2 sensor since I did a 4 Wire O2 conversion at the same time. I will install a DC header that has 2 separate O2 sensors like it was from the factory. I'll see if it was the O2 setup at that time. If not, it might be my ECT sensor that's making weird things.

Versanick
06-29-2005, 06:11 PM
If it's a gold top b20a, won't you have to convert to 88-89 intake manifold and idle controls and all of that to use a pk2 ECU?

I've wanted to use a pk2 ECU for a while, but there seems to be a slew of things besides the dizzy and cam sensor (like the huge cluster of a thing right below the cam sensor that I dont' know if I need, on the b20a5) that you need to make it work..

And also, in looking for a pk2, in every Lude, I've found some unit that says somethign PH4 on it. It's smaller than an ECU. Is this an ICU?

I'd love to go pk2 with b20a5 dizzy and cam sensor (looks same as 88-89 teg dizzy/cam sensor) and use elec advance, but isn't my pj0 harness different, since I have an 86 accord, and not an 88-89? I'd think there would be more than just two wires to switch where the ECU plugs in, with the EACV and other different controls that come with the 88-89 setup....

Or am I totally wrong?

carotman
07-01-2005, 05:58 AM
You're right about the idle controls. However, this is the only "problem" you might be facing. I've seen pictures of Openloop's B20A hatchie and it used a PK2 ECU with the 86-89 idle controls... you might just send him a PM and see how he did it.

Anyway, if I had ab 86-87, I would just get a B16A intake manifold and forget about messing with the idle controls. The B16A uses the same EACV setup as the B20A5.

skiingco
07-01-2005, 05:08 PM
I am looking forward to getting the intake back on and following your wire to try it out. What kind of head did Rob put on his engine?

skiingco
07-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Well,

The SBO Trans Mount I bought overseas before going to Iraq is not the right one. If someone has a source for one that definitely came off a B2K5 JDM 5SP Manual, Please help me get it. I noticed the rubber portion that came with it was marked AT, so I am wondering if the one I have is for a AT setup.

I also discovered the Gates VBelt sent will not work for the JDM 3 ribbed serpentine pulley on my Goldtop. The Timing Belt Adjustor Nut is right above the Crank Pulley and the VBelt is too thick. Carot, Gregg, Rob, if you see this, please help.

FyreDaug
07-10-2005, 04:34 PM
How much did the whole swap cost you? And how much time?

(im just curious, not actually wanting to do it myself)

skiingco
07-10-2005, 04:43 PM
I am not done yet. I did it the wrong way and have wasted several thousand dollars piecing it together with a mix of used and new parts. Unless you nail the engine with shafts, all mounts, accessories and belts, and what is needed to get the engine rebuilt, don't do it. Rob and Carotman did a thorough swap with a little extra money spent, but their cars are sweet.

thegreatdane
07-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Yes AT means that the mount is for an automatic transmission. Not quite sure what you mean, but you should only have to use a V-belt for the powersteering pump. The alternator doesnt use a V belt.

The tranny mount bracket has part number 50827-SE0-930
The rubber tranny mount piece has part number 50811-SE0-000

skiingco
07-15-2005, 11:36 AM
My source in NZ sent the VBelt and said it would work. The Crank and Alt Pulleys have a 3ribbed serp belt. I am looking for a source to get the right belt.

skiingco
07-15-2005, 11:39 AM
The link looks like a list for USDM part numbers. I thought Carot and Gregg said the mount was only JDM?

thegreatdane
07-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I didnt make the link, it's generated automatically when certain words or sentences are written. It created a link in the post you made as well.
It's the part numbers I wrote that are the ones you need.

The alternator belt does resemble a vbelt in size.

carotman
07-16-2005, 06:55 AM
The alternator belt is available in North America.

Gates Number 3PK805.
The Power Steering belt is the exact same as the A20A

The A/C belt is 4PK915

The Timing belt is a T850, also made by GATES, but not available in North America AFAIK.

b20a86lude
07-16-2005, 08:40 AM
skingo wasup man u got any spare parts for me i still need half sahaft rear trans bracket alternator brackets and the ignitor

skiingco
07-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Just to make sure I understand you, the mount was used on another USDM car?

thegreatdane
07-17-2005, 03:06 AM
The rear mount that you need for your B20A was not used on any USDM car. You can only get that mount from Japan/New Zealand/Europe.

I just noticed that you have a lude though and the tranny bracket has a different part number for the ludes (probably still be the same as the accord bracket though).
So it's like this for the lude:
The tranny mount bracket has part number 50827-SF0-930
The rubber tranny mount piece has part number 50811-SE0-000

skiingco
07-17-2005, 11:55 AM
ok, it is definitely import part numbers. So, do you have a source I can go to for ordering?

thegreatdane
07-18-2005, 03:18 AM
Have you tried "Strong For Honda" in New Zealand?

skiingco
07-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Gare, what's up dude? I have not got my shaft situation figured yet and I had to get the Alt Bracket from New Zealand with the Alternator. I do have some USDM Lude 88-90 Ext Igniters. I could probably send you one, I don't remember what it cost me. PM me your mail address.
Chris

skiingco
07-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Carot, you are the heat. Has anyone identified another Honda/Acura the AC was used on? Mine came with a AC, and should I ever get the car rolling, it would be nice to have the AC. If I find a USDM car the unit was used on, a local AC Shop can fabricate a hose that fits on my car.

RobT5580
07-19-2005, 05:30 PM
I tried to figure that out but no other hondas seem to use the same brackets. I have a JDM pump now and im gonna try to get lines made otherwise order the JDM ones on my next order.

skiingco
07-21-2005, 02:47 PM
my ac came attached to the engine. All I need to do is find another Honda or Acura that has the same opening for the hose and I can get the hose made.

skiingco
11-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Long time no read gents. I came back from my second Iraq trip, had surgery and am selling my gold top on EBay. Sad to quit, but I have dumped too much money on it up to this point and the Army is sending me to D.C. I will be selling the engine with the Trans, Alt., AC Compressor, Dist, the UDSM 89 Lude Computers and various wire igniters and harness ends pulled to follow Carrot and Gregg's instructions.

Chris

skiingco
11-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Long time no read gents. I came back from my second Iraq trip, had surgery and am selling my gold top on EBay. Sad to quit, but I have dumped too much money on it up to this point and the Army is sending me to D.C. I will be selling the engine with the Trans, Alt., AC Compressor, Dist, the UDSM 89 Lude Computers and various wire igniters and harness ends pulled to follow Carrot and Gregg's instructions.
Chris

skiingco
11-10-2006, 05:51 PM
:uh: :rockon: :bow: :cool: :tongue: :jaw: I am almost too embrassed to mention what the final problem was....the right side connector on the coil was reversed, and I now know the hard way, causes the coil to put out a big fat ZERO spark. The upside is I became familiar with the four possible options the B20A can run:
stock wiring, teg dist and cyl sensor with stock ECU=Carot
stock wiring, dist = Adam and I
modified wiring with USDM Lude igniter, PK2 ECU=Gregg
JDM ECU and Dist=Garrett
The good news to all this is the Accord and Lude Vacuum Adv. Eng Harnesses and ECUs are close enough to use these methods for dropping the B20A in the 3Gen Accords(?) and Ludes
I am going to start collecting pics as I work through the issues of the alternator, shafts and power steering. Once working, I will review pics that apply to my lude and what worked on the accords. It is worthwhile for the Accord owners, because we already know the A20 is similar to the BT. Now, I just need to check the shafts on the 86 Lude A2K5 5Sp as I mix a 3Gen Lude shaft with my 86 Long to see what will work on the JDM B2K5 and JDM intermediate that came with my B20A.
More than two years, and I can safely say I am over the hump and I could not have done it without this site and all of your patience and help. I will continue to share my progress.
Chris