PDA

View Full Version : A few ?s about changing CV boots

Cat3
08-20-2004, 12:00 AM
I need to replace the boot on both of my CV joints, and was wondering if anyone has done this before.

How big of a project is this? An afternoon? A weekend?

I know I'll need to re-grease the bearings. I assume I will need to use high-temp grease. Other than that, is there any specific kind to use?

Any helpful tips for this project will be greatly appreciated!

Also... Is there a larger problem, that could cause my CV joint boots to tear prematurely?

Justin
'89 DX

k-roy
08-20-2004, 01:35 AM
They are made of rubber, so they do wear out.
There are 2 types.
1. OEM style where you have to pull the axle to slip them on.
2. Aftermarket ones that have a slit up the side so you can slip then on with the axle in the car.
I reccomend the first style, they are just better. Also you should wipe down the cv joints as much as possible with a DRY rag before you greese them. Degreasers and detergents can eat up any fresh greese you put in there, that would be very bad. Also have fun with the clamps, they are a real bitch to put on correctly. There are 4 joints, meaning 4 boots. You should probably do all 4 to be on the safe side. Oh and if you decide to go with #1 check out the howto sectoion for driveshaft removal. I can remove and install an axle in about an hour, it gets easier after you've done it a few times. As for greese I perfer Valvoline synthetic, you can get it at most parts stores. While your at it in there you might as well greese up your suspension components, check your manual for all the points that need greased. Thats something that a lot of people just don't do, and it can save your bushings and balljoints from premature wear.
Good luck!