PDA

View Full Version : A/F Ratio Guage

AccordAddict
08-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Ok i want to get an Air/Fuel Ratio guage tommorow. but are they hard to hook up??? where do the wires go (besides the ground).. ? i want to know beforehand if this is going to be too hard or not. i installed my tach easily but dont know crap about A/F Guage.

AccordAddict
08-20-2004, 07:20 PM
anyone?? i gotta know by tommrow. thanks

Sabz5150
08-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Okay, you're running an 86, that's easy.... hook the +12 to ignition, ground to ground, and hook the purple line (on Autometers) to the O2 sensor wire. This should be pin 16 on the second plug of your ECU I believe. Check the FAQs for the ECU pinouts and hook the O2 wire to the O2 wire coming from your ECU.

Nothing more needs to be done. Enjoy!

AccordAddict
08-20-2004, 08:07 PM
ok..... so i have to run a wire under my seat to the ecu? i open up the ecu and pin it in? heh thats pretty easy, thanks. i hope i dont break anything lol. pin 16, on the second plug, wait whats the second plug? ah.. ill just check the FAQ for a sec.

AccordAddict
08-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Ok... the FAQ says the 86 accord version of ecu pinounts will be coming soon.. so should i go by the 87? basically the same thing right? i read it and it says pin a16 is a ground, are you sure it goes to a brown wired ground???? oh wait, it says connector a,b,c. which do i look at? this is confusing.

Sabz5150
08-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Ok... the FAQ says the 86 accord version of ecu pinounts will be coming soon.. so should i go by the 87? basically the same thing right? i read it and it says pin a16 is a ground, are you sure it goes to a brown wired ground???? oh wait, it says connector a,b,c. which do i look at? this is confusing.

The 87 is the same. Connect the purple lead to pin C16, white lead, O2 sensor.

AccordAddict
08-21-2004, 04:28 PM
so theres two wires i need to connect to the ecu? A Purple wire and white wire? ok the purple goes to the pin c16 (which is oxygen sensor) and the white goes the same one???

ehulst
08-21-2004, 04:48 PM
how much was your A/F?

SteveDX89
08-21-2004, 04:50 PM
The gauge should come with directions. This stuff isn't that hard.

AccordAddict
08-21-2004, 04:51 PM
its only $25 at pepboys now. it used to be 35, unless its in the wrong place....

ehulst
08-21-2004, 04:59 PM
hmmm.....how hard is it to fit an 00 Acrd couple pod to our side pillar? anyone got any idea's?

AccordAddict
08-21-2004, 08:41 PM
i thought they just slip on. they dont? ask mikes89accordlx he has guage pods.

Mike's89AccordLX
08-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Yes I do have some gauge pods. I used a 88-91 CRX Dual Autometer Pillar. I used a heat gun to get to to mould perfectly to the A-Pillar.

You have to drill 4 tiny holes in the plastic a-pillar and the guage pod will have these plastic screw things you push in the plastic and will hold the pods to the a-pillar.

AccordAddict
08-21-2004, 08:56 PM
how do they stick on? do they clip or tape or glue on???

PhydeauX
08-21-2004, 09:02 PM
They come with little crappy push in clips. I used them on the pod in my jetta and wasn't happy, damn things kept working loose. I glued the pod in my nova on with 3m plastic trim adhesive, worked great.

andy

AccordAddict
08-21-2004, 09:08 PM
push in clips? you mean like staples that damage your interior or clips that go around the [A Pillar?]- (Interior Bar).

AccordAddict
08-27-2004, 12:44 PM
ok i might get it today. one quick question, do you have to remove the seat to get into the ecu? is it hard to do?

shepherd79
08-27-2004, 12:47 PM
yes you have to remove the seat to get to ECU.
it took me about 1 hours to install my gauge, but i am a perfectionist so i soldered all my connections and so on and on.
make sure you have wirring diagram when you work with ECU. you don't want to fuck it up.

AccordAddict
08-27-2004, 02:03 PM
hey i just picked up my guage and guage pod. you say you have to remove the seat? fuck. is there an easier way to do this? also,i got the sunpro one. it just connects one green wire to the oxygen sensor. and did you say wiring diagram? i have the shop manual and looked in electrical and saw no ECU wiring diagram, do you know where i can download one? there isnt one in the FAQ either.

AccordAddict
08-27-2004, 02:14 PM
BAH! whats the best way to take out the seat!?!?!?!?!?! or excuse me, EASIEST WAY. PLZ HELP SOON THANX. i saw these two bolts in the front under the seat are those the only bolts? or is it easier to slide the seat off the slider thing? i dunno how to do that so does anyone know , Thankx.

A20A1
08-27-2004, 02:28 PM
2 bolts front 2 bolts rear... they are 14mm head/socket size and are located on the rails of the seat.

there is no easier way.... there is one way remove the bolts and take it out.

Slide the seat back to get to the front bolts, slide the seat forward to get to the rear bolts... there may be plastic covers on the seat botls... but basicly the seat is bolted to the floor of the car... the rails and the seat are intergrated so they all come out as one.

edit: some seats have a black ground wire under/attatched to the seat... it slides out from it's connected but don't forget to reconnnect it.

AccordAddict
08-27-2004, 03:28 PM
ok, thanks alot man.

AccordAddict
08-27-2004, 03:34 PM
also does anyone have an ECU Wiring Diagram???

ehulst
08-27-2004, 06:48 PM
Yes I do have some gauge pods. I used a 88-91 CRX Dual Autometer Pillar. I used a heat gun to get to to mould perfectly to the A-Pillar.

You have to drill 4 tiny holes in the plastic a-pillar and the guage pod will have these plastic screw things you push in the plastic and will hold the pods to the a-pillar.

what about wires what did u do to hide them...drill into the stock pilliar...then lope them down into the dash or something

AccordAddict
08-28-2004, 01:30 PM
yeah im worying about that also, how to hide them. i dont wanna break anything. im just gonna run it down the side where you can barely see it i guess unless its easy to hide it behine the apillar. and does anyone know where i can find an ECU WIRING DIAGRAM!?!?!?!?!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
08-29-2004, 07:27 AM
yeah im worying about that also, how to hide them. i dont wanna break anything. im just gonna run it down the side where you can barely see it i guess unless its easy to hide it behine the apillar. and does anyone know where i can find an ECU WIRING DIAGRAM!?!?!?!?!

Run the wire toward the kickpanel. Then remove the kickpanel along with the little plastic piece along the bottom of the door, and simply run the wire along the fat wire harness going to the rear of the car. Then simply cut a tiny hole in the carpet close to the ECU and run the wire out from under the carpeting. Since you will be removing the seat anyway, it should be ultra-easy and not visible at all with the seat back in place. The ECU pinout numbers are in the .pdf shopmanual on page 222 (use the thumbnail view option to browse to this page. Since you know that you need pin C16, you just need to look at the pin assignment to figure it out.

AccordAddict
08-31-2004, 12:10 PM
AH! IM VERY CONFUSED! IM IN THE MIDdLE OF INSTALLING IT NOW! OK WHICH IS CONNECTOR C? THE ONE ON THE FAR RIGHT (BLACK ONE) OR THE FAR LEFT (WHITE) OR MIDDLE ONE (BLACK) PLZ HELP QUICK!

AccordAddict
08-31-2004, 07:07 PM
OK I DID IT! It looks good, accept for the wires hanging down the apillar wrapped in a black tube... hey i was wondering if this is normal.... It is in the ideal section when my car is warmped up and in park, and when i floor it it goes rich,a nd when i slow down it goes to lean until i put it about 1/3 gas and it goes back to lean, it sometimes fluctuates alot. is that normal?

A20A1
09-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Yes it's normal to fluctuate... that is showing the computer adjusting the mixture, as it goes lean it adds fuel, when it gets rich it will drop fuel so it can get a good stoich mixture.

AccordAddict
09-03-2004, 03:36 PM
ok cool. and i also noticed that when i turn the key halfway to where the radio cuts on, the guage cuts on and it starts out lean, then like a minute later it goes up a notch, and i sat somewhere and watched it for 20 minutes and it rose up to rich! wtf?!?!?

A20A1
09-03-2004, 08:31 PM
As the car is idling the O2sensor cools and becomes less responsive... also on start up the O2 sensor is not responding acurately.

AccordAddict
09-04-2004, 05:01 PM
hmm ok this is wierd. te first day i installed this guage it had pretty steady and accurate readings, now it just fluctates ALL OVER THE PLACE! like its also a little late with response, like ill floor it and then like 2 seconds later it reads rich. wtf? is it bad connections or something?

Mike's89AccordLX
09-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Alright first off you DON'T have a wideband O2 sensor so it won't have accurate readings. 1 wire O2 sensors aren't very accurate. And I would put money on it that you have a vacuum leak. When I had a vacuum leak it delayed the readings and acted funny. Now the fun part will be another huge thread on how to find the vacuum leak. Carb spray or take it to a shop to have it smoked tested for vacuum leaks.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-04-2004, 05:48 PM
And when you say the gauge moves on its own. I hope you read your directions b/c mine clearly stated that it does that when it powers up. It will go to the last like led and then stay there. Or you better fix that over active fuel pump that's making riching up when the car isn't running.

AccordAddict
09-04-2004, 05:57 PM
damn, do you know how much a smoke test costs?

Mike's89AccordLX
09-04-2004, 07:16 PM
nope I do them for free on my cars :) Well its either you pay up and get it fixed or keep having a crappy reading that does nothing for you car. Don't forget to add the A/F gauge to your MOD list.

AccordAddict
09-04-2004, 07:48 PM
i only add performance mods to my sig cuz if i were to list all my mods id have a very long list that wont fit.

Vinny
09-07-2004, 11:18 AM
Stupid question time. Why would you need or want an AF guage on a stock EFI 3rd gen accord? Its not like you can do alot to change your AF mixture since its controlled by an ECU thats not programmable.

AccordAddict
09-07-2004, 11:21 AM
I just wanted to know if there were any probs with my exhaust or intake. and also it was a cheap guage ($25) and it looks good with the guage pod. More guages the merrier!

SteveDX89
09-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Stupid question time. Why would you need or want an AF guage on a stock EFI 3rd gen accord? Its not like you can do alot to change your AF mixture since its controlled by an ECU thats not programmable.

Hehe. :) Some just don't get it.