PDA

View Full Version : 5-speed to auto swap

87AccordLXsdn
08-21-2004, 09:15 PM
i got an 88 lxi for 130 bucks. i bought it to put the 5 speed in my car and i was wondering how hard it would be to put my auto tranny into that?? my girlfriend needs a car and i figured i could fix it up and give it to her. anyone ever had a desire to do this or heard if its a bitch?

88accordhb
08-21-2004, 09:19 PM
like the other guy, there's a how to, and lots of other threads. do the search.

87AccordLXsdn
08-22-2004, 08:01 PM
show me the how to on turning a 5 speed into an auto. read.

AQcz
08-22-2004, 08:09 PM
I'm no genius on this topic so I could be wrong, but I'd assume that you'd just follow the auto to 5spd swap. Should just do the reverse of whats posted.

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=102

87AccordLXsdn
08-22-2004, 08:13 PM
but is there any like missing wires that i'd need? considering you have to jump a few to get the reverse lights to come on.

TheSummoner101
08-22-2004, 09:04 PM
but is there any like missing wires that i'd need? considering you have to jump a few to get the reverse lights to come on.
im a car n00b myself, i wouldn't attempt something like that cuz i would juz endup with no car LOL but if u are goin for it, soundz like a fun project....

if u do the math:
1) u got a car with (working) auto
2) u got a car with (working) 5 speed

so if ur worried about wiring for tail lights and stuff, that should come in ur auto car ? im guessing u can change the harness and swich everything related between the two cars

forgive me if im worng :P im juz tryin 2 help, sorry if i made no sense

blazin3gen
08-22-2004, 09:13 PM
hmm i would think it should be the same as doin the 5speed but just look at the parts u have to replace when doin the 5speed and just add those in probly better off teaching her how to drive stick i mean it aint that hard... also i bet this is gonna be a bitch to do...

btw where were u when i wanted to do a 5speed swap to my car hahaha i could of used your parts and u could of used my parts :mad: haha :D

87AccordLXsdn
08-22-2004, 09:47 PM
i havent been on here for awhile and i delievered a pizza to a kid and he asked if i wanted a parts car. i wanted a 5 speed tranny for my car so i went and bought it. it looks terrible sittin with the other cars we have

sporkHSP
08-22-2004, 09:58 PM
i would definatly not try to swap the auto back in. the wiring headiache wouldnt be worth it, you would have to tear both cars completely apart and swap the harnesses or do a ton of custom wiring in the new auto car. the auto to 5speed swap is taxing enough, dont kill yourself with the reverse swap.
on the other hand, if you could get the car running without the stock wiring you may have a pretty fun car. but i know that i destroyed my auto in the process of swapping it out.

SteveDX89
08-23-2004, 02:23 AM
The transmission is not electronically controlled. There is no wiring to make it work. There would be wiring for the illumination of the letters on the shift lever. The thing that lights up in the dash. The reverse lights. IMO, this is a worthless swap. Teach her to drive 5 speed and call it a day.

sporkHSP
08-23-2004, 05:29 AM
the wiring is for the starter and reverse lights... you have to figure out how the systems work currently in the 5speed car to be able to know how easy it would be for you to just swap everything over...

87AccordLXsdn
08-23-2004, 08:33 AM
im not doing the swap to give her an auto, i taking the 5 speed out of the shit box and putting it into my car. i was just curious to how hard it would be to put the auto back to just so she has a car. but i dont think i'll be tryin that just because im taking a break from taking the 5 speed out now and i dont think i wanna go through even more shit. thanks guys

HostileJava
08-23-2004, 08:52 AM
You should have no problems doing it. The wiring is to lock the key in the ignition and to get the backup lights to work, the only problem you may have is the solenied that locks the shifter in place until u press the brakes in but the wiring for that can just be jumped. You will have ot rewire the backup lights to work through the shifter. Don't worry about the key locking in the ignition.

sporkHSP
08-23-2004, 10:31 PM
the only problem you may have is the solenied that locks the shifter in place until u press the brakes in but the wiring for that can just be jumped.
easy there big fella, the 86 and 87s dont have that key lock mechanism.

after thinking about it, you should be cool if you figure out reverse lights, but after the 5speed swap into your car you wont want to slide under either car for a while... but if you take care not to break bolts and bend things that shouldnt bend, you should be able to move everything over and be done.

Civvy
08-24-2004, 02:50 AM
Wiring is the last thing to worry about, its also a piece of cake!
Reverse lights
#1. identify wire code on rear of reverse light bulb holder (in trunk) or manual.
#2. find wire behind fuse box and test by adding a fused live.
#3. connect to matching wiring code on auto inhibitor switch (selector switch).
#4. connect other side of switch to ignition circuit. (yellow/redstripe)
Park and neutral inhibitor switch
#1. find remote starter motor wire at the rear of ignition switch (black/whitestripe)
#2. cut. connect to matching wiring code on inhibitor switch(selector switch).
#3. connect other side of switch to starter motor.
Shift lights (in clocks)
#1. interchange manual clocks for hondamatic clocks
(at this point I think there is a red connector on the back of the clocks which is for the shift lights and is built in to all our harnesess as standard)
#2. if yes, find other end below the heater somewhere!? if no, u need to cut the red connector from the auto car and match the wirecodes to the ones on the selector switch.
Job done.
The transmission changes using the gas pedal and load.

sporkHSP
08-24-2004, 06:44 AM
sure if you want to do it right! the car will run without all of the wiring, just make sure you start it while in p or n, or youll jump around.
oh and raise your idle after swapping, the car may not run if you dont.