PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injector Q?

Gregs89AccordLxi
07-23-2002, 10:26 PM
Hey guys i noticed that there is some gas around one of my injectors. i thought it was dirt and cleaned it off but a couple of days later it came back, usually when a fuel injector goes bad what are the symptoms? :confused:

shepherd79
07-24-2002, 03:53 AM
i am not an EFI guy, but i can tell you right now it is O-rings on your injectors.

vtec11
07-24-2002, 06:09 AM
umm, okay. but how do you fix it?

2 of mine are leaking... seems kinda dangerous driving around with fuel leaking in the engine comparment... :eek:

OldSchoolSwap
07-24-2002, 09:50 AM
You better take care of that asap! Or you'll be driving in flames down the road!!!
Have the "O" rings replaced to seal it properly. Make sure that you inspect the injectors properly to make sure they are not cracked and leaking through there.
You might end up replacing the bad injectors if the "O" rings don't fix the problem.

DBMaster
07-24-2002, 10:13 AM
Here's the tip you need. It is NOT, NOT, NOT the o-rings. It is the injector itself developing a leak through the join between its plastic mand metal components. You will need to replace the leaky injectors.

Best price factory injector: rceng.com. You will need to call them to order their "test" Honda injectors at $42.50 each.

Best aftermarket price: nopi.com. Python Venom injectors for $39.95 each.

You will be kicking yourself if you spend $50 for the seals and just find out (like I did five years ago) that it is not the seals. Save yourself the "learning experience" and replace the injectors. They come with the necessary rubber parts.

BTW, the only oring that actually seals against liquid gas is the little one in the fuel rail. The other rubber parts are the top cushion and the seal with the intake manifold.

Good luck!

AZmike
07-24-2002, 12:20 PM
I have three leaky injectors. Is there any reason to replace them as a set or can I save the ~$40 and get only 3?

Last I checked NOPI had Crown remanufactured Honda injectors for $30 each. A lot of Crown stuff has a lifetime warranty, but I wanted to check before picking them up.

Thanks

jteuton
07-24-2002, 12:38 PM
i have a set of four i replaced when i got high flow units....nothing wrong with them and they don't leak.....100k mile on them...i'll take 30 bucks for them.....you pay shipping

DBMaster
07-24-2002, 04:21 PM
That's a good deal. The high flow injectors won't do much for you on an otherwise stock engine. I don't know if they will hurt fuel economy or not. Others may know that.

you do not have to replace all of them. I replaced one about five years ago, one three years ago, and the last two earlier this year. I paid $90 each for the first two, though. Now that I know you can get them for $40 a pop I would just do them all to save the time, but it won't hurt just to replace the leaky ones if cashflow is the issue.

Later!

OldSchoolSwap
07-24-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
I have three leaky injectors. Is there any reason to replace them as a set or can I save the ~$40 and get only 3?

Last I checked NOPI had Crown remanufactured Honda injectors for $30 each. A lot of Crown stuff has a lifetime warranty, but I wanted to check before picking them up.

Thanks
If your replacing them with stock injectors, you can just replace the bad ones and save a few bucks.

If your thinking of a performance injector, then replace all four.

And YES performance injectors will burn fuel a bit faster, so if your cheap on fuel it is not a big diffrence but it will add up.

rocky2
07-24-2002, 05:37 PM
I think there may be only 4 types of injecters used in the whole automotive industry(stock). This may sound cheap but I have used an entire intake complete with injectors sussesfully in past. But mine were leaking internaly not externaly like yours,engine was real hard to start and smelled of raw fuel in morning.Plus I heard them leaking from inside the intake pleum like a tire leak{hiss}

AZmike
07-25-2002, 01:48 AM
jteuton that's a great deal. I'll take 'em. Do you have paypal? My zip is 85716 for shipping calculating purposes. Let me know the total so I can get the money to you.

Thanks

AccordSEi
07-25-2002, 03:07 PM
I agree with DBMaster...it is probably NOT the o-rings. Been there and done that. I would bet money on it being the injectors themselves. And if you buy new injectors you will get all the seals and o-rings.