PDA

View Full Version : Clunking problem?

DLB
08-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Hey guys i went and looked at a 89 lxi, manual,118,000 miles. The body was in pretty good shape, and the interior wasn't too bad. So i took it for a test drive and i noticed a clunking noise in 1st and 2nd gear but only after about 2,000 rpm. And i did not hear it at all in 3rd. Then i remebered that owner had told me that he had replaced the clutch not too long ago. So when i got back to his house. I asked him who replaced the clutch for you and he told me that is was a local garge. and then i asked him when did he noticed the clunking noise and he said after he replaced the clutch. which leads me to think that somone installed the clutch wrong, and that maybe the clunking noise was the flywheel, but i'm really not to sure. What do you guys think? I'm thinking it's not the engine because i only heard the noise after 2,000 rpm and only in first and second. THANKS

mr eff
08-22-2004, 11:41 AM
does it make the noise during shifting? during acceleration, during deacceleration? when pushing the gas pedal in and out quickly? i'm sure the other members of the board will have something to suggest with more information.

my car has a CLUNK sound when i do what i just mentioned above, and it's because of dying engine mounts. it happens to me only in first and sometimes second, and i feel that it's because of the torque in the lower gears.

hope that helps get things started for you,
chris

DLB
08-22-2004, 11:55 AM
No, it dosent do it during shifting just during accelaration over 2,000 rpms.

shepherd79
08-22-2004, 05:16 PM
yeah it sounds like a clutch problem.

DLB
08-22-2004, 06:35 PM
Well do think i should buy it or not, the clunking noise has got me a little worried. One thing to add is that when i took it for a test drive this one street that i turned on to go back to his house had a big hill, and as i was going down it i pushed in the clutch and revved it to about 4500 rpms and there was no noise. Thanks for the help so far.