PDA

View Full Version : Aux. cooling fan fuse...

ACE_14
08-22-2004, 04:19 PM
A few weeks ago my car overheated and I noticed I needed to change the radiator cap. It hasn't overheated again, but the cooling fan fuses blew. I changed them both and primary hasn't blown yet, but I've changed the aux. cooling fan fuse about three times now. As soon as the fans kick in is when it goes. Any ideas on why it may be doing it?

accordlxi2.0
08-22-2004, 04:30 PM
it could be a short within the fan or the relay.

ACE_14
08-22-2004, 04:38 PM
I'll have to wait 'til I have time to check it out, but what are some options in fans in case mine shorted out?

accordlxi2.0
08-22-2004, 04:40 PM
you could try the junkyard first, then try autozone/ or murrays, then if those don't work , thier's alway's ya honda/acura dealership.

ACE_14
08-22-2004, 04:47 PM
What about aftermarkets? Any that will fit?

AccordAddict
08-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Dude, just put a bigger fuse in there. I replaced mine with a 40. hasnt blown yet and they work good now.

accordlxi2.0
08-23-2004, 04:00 PM
or what he said would work, yea you could try after market's some may take up more amp's but cool the engine more . . . .

Mac
08-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Dude, just put a bigger fuse in there. I replaced mine with a 40. hasnt blown yet and they work good now.

No don't do that. That's not the way to fix it. The fuse is there for a reason and if you put a bigger one in it could cause more damage.

It's a good chance that the fan motor is bad. Anyway which fuse is blowing. Give # and location.

ACE_14
08-23-2004, 06:12 PM
It's the sub cooling fan, #12 fuse under hood.

Mac
08-23-2004, 06:32 PM
OK, from that fuse a wire runs right to the relay contacts and then to the fan. I suggest that you disconnect the fan and put a 15 amp fuse in ( I think that is what is suppose to be in there). Then run the engine until the other fan comes on. If the fuse doesn't blow, it's probally is the fan motor. They are easy to change and cheap at a junk yard. Of course junk yard parts are a gamble. If you have an ohm meter you can put it across the fan contacts. You should read some resistance but not a short.

Actually you don't even have to run the engine. After you disconnect the fan and replace fuse, just disconnect the temp sensor (bottom of radiator) and short the 2 contacts together. Then turn the key on and the other fan should run.

AccordAddict
08-23-2004, 06:51 PM
or you could test the relay and see if thats bad.

smufguy
08-24-2004, 05:28 PM
here is a simple thing that u can do if you are running no AC.

go to the junkyard and find a LX or a DX model (the ones with the carb) and look at their radiator. You will notice that both the fans are connected in parallel. Disconnect both the fans, but get the wire that connects both the fans. And plug it in ur car. This way u get both ur fans working at the same time.

But if you got a working AC, then u gotta find what exactly is wrong. I would start by looking for a short from the wire that comes off the AC pressure switch near the Cruise control area.

MrBen
08-24-2004, 05:32 PM

Dont ever do that. *slaps the back of your hand*

AccordAddict
08-24-2004, 07:14 PM
i did it so that i would know if the fans had a big problem or not. it hasnt blown yet, and also it was the only fuse i had lying around and i stuck it in there for temporary reasons. well li guess i should put an appropriate fuse in there now, anyone know the fuse type?

smufguy
08-24-2004, 08:28 PM
i did it so that i would know if the fans had a big problem or not. it hasnt blown yet, and also it was the only fuse i had lying around and i stuck it in there for temporary reasons. well li guess i should put an appropriate fuse in there now, anyone know the fuse type?

regular 15 amp. It should say on the fuse box cover.

ehulst
08-26-2004, 09:53 AM
i think i'm going to get my cooling fan on a 12V switch, What color is positive and whats negiative.....