PDA

View Full Version : quick help plz - shift linkage

racerx
08-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Okaaaaaay, so the cable that is associated with moving the stick up and down (into gear) mated just fine with the tranny, BUT the other cable (left and right action) is too short.......... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is this cable asjustable and how so? thanks

racerx
08-22-2004, 07:39 PM
anybody? ....

shepherd79
08-23-2004, 03:26 AM
did you try to pull out the shifter out of the tranny.
just grab it and pull out. the tranny probably in 2, 4 or reverse gears.

SteveDX89
08-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Are you talking about the shift rod or the torque rod?

racerx
08-23-2004, 07:56 AM
ergh.... ok, there's one cable that moves when you push the stick forward and back. that cable mates fine.

there's also a cable that moves when you move the stick left and right (to get to 1st, 2nd, 5th or reverse). this cable is about an inch short in reaching the tranny...

shepherd79
08-23-2004, 08:42 AM
ok, the rod with big rubber bushing is torque rod. you should have no problems with it.
the other one that has a bolt going through the top is the actual shifter. that rod can not be too short.
from what car did you get all your parts?

racerx
08-23-2004, 03:36 PM
it's all original parts. the only thing i changed was the motor. same tranny, same linkage, etc.

i think i found the problem though: i think the bracket that the linkage rests on is bent. I'm gonna try to bend it back today. i'll let everyone know how it goes.

smufguy
08-24-2004, 05:32 PM
i have no clue what ur talking about cable. Dude, the cable is just the clutch. We use direct shift and its a big beefy rod. And u cannot bend it. but, if u switched trannies (from an auto to 5spd, u need a differet shift linkage itslef).

Like alex said, pull the thing with the hole in it that sticks out of the tranny under the rear crossmember towards the rear of the car. it will slide out. then hook it up, but dont forget the bushings that go in it.

point out what ur talking about
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_J22.gif

racerx
08-25-2004, 07:41 AM
oooooh... i forgot to mention this tranny is from a prelude...

...btw...

smufguy
08-25-2004, 07:48 AM
oooooh... i forgot to mention this tranny is from a prelude...

...btw...

which year? it does not matter what tranny it is, post a pic of it if u can.