PDA

View Full Version : lagging acceleration

89RIDE
08-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Alright here's the problem...my 89 lxi is lagging in any acceleration what so ever. When I hit the gas down it takes the car forever to go through 1000-2000 rpm, but once it hit 3000 rpm it kicks in like i have a turbo or something. I can't even explain how slow it is when you first hit the gas. I've tried advancing the timing and it helped a little but it made the car run really rough. I have brand new spark plug wires in the car and a brand new distributor. Does anyone have any idea about what can be the problem here? Can my timing somehow be off?

racerx
08-22-2004, 07:37 PM
check you venturi's. do a search for it, and you will find a ton of info.

if one of the venturi's is loose in the carb, then the car will stutter and stammer for the early RPM's, and then VROOOM! at least, that was the case in my car. i tightened it, and it works fine now.

also, check your coolent level. lack of coolent seems to do the same thing.

k-roy
08-22-2004, 07:42 PM
hehe, he's got this thing called PGMFI. So there is no venturis.
Thats a toughie. I would take a look at the throttle linkage and make sure thats in good condition. Aslo remove the end of the aircleaner and see if the throttle plate in the throttle body is tight. Im thinking it could be fuel related as well, so try a new filter and run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through your tank. Oh and how does the air filter look? Just a few things to check over.

shepherd79
08-23-2004, 03:23 AM
check the vacuum lines. there aren't many but still check them.
check the spark plugs, they may be worn.
check the distributor cap and rotor.
get carb cleaner and clean the throttle body.

racerx
08-23-2004, 07:54 AM
hehe, he's got this thing called PGMFI. So there is no venturis.

:uh: DUH! ... well, yeah, check everything they said... :D

89RIDE
08-23-2004, 07:50 PM
I threw a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in it today so we'll see how that goes. When you guys say check the vaccuum lines do you mean to just look for rips or something or is there something specifically to check. I think i'm gonna check the spark plugs tomorrow.

89RIDE
08-23-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm thinkin my problem might be my PCV valve. Has anyone ever changed their's in their 89. Where is it at?