PDA

View Full Version : 88-91 Civic Header

ivanfbi
08-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Has anyone tried to put the 88-91 civic header on a20a3? I was wondering, cuz Fucking civics have so much aftermarket shit, even if most of them are slower than 3geez...

A20A1
08-22-2004, 10:25 PM
When looking for a potential match you need to ask yourself
What motor do they have?
What is the port spacing on the head?
What is the port shape?
Is it DOHC or SOHC? This is because spark plugs on DOHC are usually centered between the valves instead of like the A20 where you need to make room in the flange for plug access.

there are a few products I know of that will shift pipes a few degrees left or right and you could reweld them to a A20 flange... but the port shapes whould have to be round or vertically oval like ours are...

basicly you buy a header thats a close match and cut the flange off, line up the pipes and weld up a new flange to the header.

edit: you also need to think about the oil pan and the tilt of the motor...

Blue Impact
08-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Has anyone tried to put the 88-91 civic header on a20a3? I was wondering, cuz Fucking civics have so much aftermarket shit, even if most of them are slower than 3geez...

I doubt it. O2 sensor location might be different and the header itself might not line up to the manifold. You can always go to a junkyard to ensure its fitment before buying though. Good luck.

k-roy
08-23-2004, 12:03 AM
Not gonna work, the ports will not line up. Also I believe the A20 is a taller engine, so it would not wrap around the bottom of the block. I was looking at a 91 the other day and i can still visualize it.
I assume you allready know that pacesetter is the only header that you can easily find. DC Sports ones are rare so you might want to consider a custom header. Sean quoted me somewhere in the 4-5 hundered range for a Stainless steel one.

AccordEpicenter
08-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Not gonna work, the ports will not line up. Also I believe the A20 is a taller engine, so it would not wrap around the bottom of the block. I was looking at a 91 the other day and i can still visualize it.
I assume you allready know that pacesetter is the only header that you can easily find. DC Sports ones are rare so you might want to consider a custom header. Sean quoted me somewhere in the 4-5 hundered range for a Stainless steel one.

K-Roy is right... either get a header made for the car or make a custom one... ghetto rigging civic manis just isnt worth it

smufguy
08-24-2004, 05:08 PM
yep, they wont bolt up, i have tried all the gaskets, and the ones that mainly restrict us is the design of the #2 and #3 cylinder ports cause the exhaust valve are closer making the ports closer to each other than a standard 16V motor. Also our block is not wide enough to accomodate the rather wider blocks (hence the head) of the newer motors.