PDA

View Full Version : Installing Oil Pressure guage

Raduque
08-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Couple of quick questions for those who already have one installed: How exactly do you connect the line to the fitting? I've read in threads I can no longer find, that I need a special fitting that doesn't come with the guage. Do I really need this fitting, and where can I get it? Also, do I need to reconnect the oil light, or is there some easy (ie: not requiring taking apart the dash) way to keep the light from coming on because the sender is removed from the fitting?

Also, what, in ya'lls opinion, is the best place to mount it? I was thinking of putting it in the tape holder, possibly building a custom pod out of wood designed to hold at least 1 guage (for now).

Thanks!

A20A1
08-23-2004, 01:53 PM
either you buy a T that allows you to install both the OEM sender and the new sender for the gauge... or you just run with the light on...

My gauge came with a few sizes to fit into the port where the OEM sender was... so I had to mix and match but it fit... use teflon tape for a good seal.

SteveDX89
08-23-2004, 02:51 PM
http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/fu/funinfeenix/TakeOffAnnotatedFlat.jpg

That's what you're looking for. Go to http://www.tunertoys.com

Raduque
08-23-2004, 07:09 PM
My question, steve, is do I absolutely, no questions asked, NEED that part?

A20A1 do you run with the light on, or did you buy the T adaptor?

Sabz5150
08-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Are you using this piece?

A20A1
08-24-2004, 12:18 AM
I couldn't find that... if I had I would have used it for a while...
but then I no longer have a dash or gauge cluster in my car so I don't need it.

It's fine with carb... I have no idea what it will do to EFI

SteveDX89
08-24-2004, 02:05 AM
I got one for use when I put my gauge in. It's only 20 bucks. I believe the threads are different between the block and what's used for the gauge. If that's the case, the fitting for the gauge won't screw in unless you cross thread it.

Sabz5150
10-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Okay, I've installed my gauge and can answer a few questions people keep asking.

1. No, you do not need to reconnect the oil light. It won't hinder performance in any way. To that note, if the sender is not connected then the oil light will not come on at all. I'm guessing the sender is a simple normally closed switch that just grounds out the sender wire.

2. The nylon/copper tubing doesn't need to be filled with oil before you install the gauge. I saw this asked once before.

3. If you aren't going to use the stock sender along with the gauge, then you can pick up a pack of metric fittings at your local parts store. Just look next to the pressure gauge kits. I would highly recommend using the proper fitting so you don't cross thread the hole. Leaks are bad, we don't want any more than we already have.

AccordEpicenter
10-08-2004, 10:25 AM
4.teflon Tape That Shit

Sabz5150
10-08-2004, 10:30 AM
4.teflon Tape That Shit

Absolutely. It's a 99 cent item that can prevent lots of problems down the road.