PDA

View Full Version : Failed smog: high NO

Strugglebucket
08-23-2004, 03:23 PM
I've got an '88dx that I drive around when I'm working on the lxi. I figured I should register it since it got towed once already, but when it came time to get it smogged I failed because my NO was 1100 out of an allowable 850. So...what causes high NO? And what things can I do to help my car pass (besides usual tune-up stuff)?

Mac
08-23-2004, 06:46 PM
A few things can cause high NOx. The major items are EGR or catalytic converter.

Strugglebucket
08-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Fahck. I'm going to try kicking the car a few times and see if that helps.

smufguy
08-24-2004, 05:25 PM
a couple of things can cause high NOX and the Catalytic converter is not one of them.

1. your ignition timing is advanced too much
2. you are running lean
3. your egr is not working properly.

To fix this situation.

I would say, get new plugs (NGK V-power) and set ur ignition timing a lil back. As in retard ur ingnition a couple of degrees back.

Get yourself a can of EMISSION PASS stuff from walmart, Slick 50 makes one and Guaranteed to pass emissions, is another. Get either of those bottles (about 7 bux) pour it in and then take ur car to the inspection and i would say ur car would defenitely pass.

Strugglebucket
08-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the advice smufguy, I had forgot about that emission pass stuff. Kind of like the automotive equivilent of trying to pass a drug test :lol:

smufguy
08-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the advice smufguy, I had forgot about that emission pass stuff. Kind of like the automotive equivilent of trying to pass a drug test :lol:

hehe, yeah its a high concentrate/strong fuel system cleaner and nothing else. Just better than the regular fuel system cleaner thats it.