PDA

View Full Version : Overheating/Overcooling Same Time

LocoPico
08-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Got'z me a problem... When I drive... needle for temp gauge goes too low... come to a stop for a bit (not even too hot out) and the needle raise pretty high....

I installed new thermostat... new coolant... problem persists.... Yes the fan kicks in when it gets to hot... but (correct me if i'm wrong) should it not stay in the middle once it warms up?? hhrrrmmmm

AZmike
08-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Try running without the thermostat. If it still overheats you radiator is clogged. If it always overcools then your thermostat was at fault.

88Accord-DX
08-23-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm with AZmike on that one. Also, Pop your radiator cap off and look down in radiator to see if the fluid is flowing after it is warmed up. One last thing it could be is that your water pump might be fixing to go out if you don't see the fluid flowing after it is warmed up, but starts getting hot fast. I would recommend a "fail safe" thermostat next time.

After reading your question again, yes the temp. needle stays little below halfway. Between 1/3 and 1/2 way.

A20A1
08-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Did you bleed the system?
I thought the temp stays just above the middle line in most accords... I haven't ahd a cluster for a long time though... and 89 87 and 88 89 accords ahve different style gauges

I say your water pump is giving out...

Blkblurr
08-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Mine stays just below the middle

Blkblurr
08-24-2004, 09:14 AM
Sounds like too little coolant in your radiator. Could also be a bad temp sensor that controls your temp guage.

MrBen
08-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Mine stays a little above halfway but before I did a coolant change it was below half. Probably got the wrong mix.

LocoPico
08-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Yeah... I had figured either the pump or the temp sending unit.... hhrrmmm.. coolant is flowing and mix is to specs.... I'll let you know how i make out... thanx all..