PDA

View Full Version : replacing the crankshaft

Coy
08-24-2004, 03:34 PM
i dont know exactly what cause this to happen but the crankshaft is bent all to hell. from a visual standpoint at first i was thinking it was only the pulley, but after taking it off and checking it out the pulley turns out to be fine, but not all the things it was connected to...

ive deduced with some assistance that the only possible thing it could be is the crankshaft. (if anyone has any other ideas let me know) anyways to fix the problem and whatnot i was thinking replace the pistons,rings, refinish the cylinders if need be, timing belt and lower timing gear, and last but not least the crankshaft. but im not exactly sure if ive covered everything i need to do or if what i think is overdoing it.

but anyways on to the point is their a possibility of stronger parts instead of going with the OE for the engine....and im hoping i dont have to remove the engine.

shepherd79
08-24-2004, 03:39 PM
everything is possible if you have tons of money.
i am sure someone can make you custom forged crankshaft.

Coy
08-24-2004, 03:54 PM
i know that man..what im talking about is swapping from say another honda engine, like something with a stronger set of pistons and crankshaft. without having to increaase the cylender size or anytihng of that sort.

smufguy
08-24-2004, 03:55 PM
the only possible way is that the motor misfired or the plugs were miswired and just was not running probably. But also other reasons could be that the bearing blots were not torque properly and whatever. I would suggest that u just get a used crank (stock) and replace it. The crank is bulletproof and there is a proof of a A20 making well over 450WHP on stock bottom end with aftermarket bolts and no more. So dont worry about a solid-er crankshaft, just get the nicks in the engine fixed and get this thing solved. Better yet get a used motor and save urself some time/money. A used motor is much cheaper than changing out ur crankshaft and its also faster, IMO.

Coy
08-25-2004, 04:44 PM
i appologize for failing to mention its an es2 (85), i dont know if that makes any difference

money wise im not sure which direction would be better...i know i dont have the means to get someone to swap for me, and i am pretty sure that if i do it myself i dont have the money to get all the required tools, but it may be more of a possibility to get the tools to change the crankshaft.

the only problem in either of the situations would be getting the engine out of the car.

smufguy
08-25-2004, 08:56 PM
swapping an engine takes about 30 mts to an hour. Its an easy job you could say. I would say, you do it so that u can save some money. and the engine hoist is only 200 bux.

AZmike
08-26-2004, 05:45 PM
i am sure someone can make you custom forged crankshaft.

I thought I read somewhere that our crank are already made of forged steel. They're not going to be as strong as one made of 4340, but they're already pretty tough.