PDA

View Full Version : Synchromesh eliminates clicking synchros problem in manual transmission

Slavic
08-24-2004, 05:59 PM
First of all I would love to have been able to find the thread which I intended to post this in, but I don't remember it's title and I was unable to find it by searching. Search for "synchromesh" returned nothing and neither did the search for "sinchromesh" (I distinctly remember it was misspelled in that thread and both spellings were present) Even a search for "synchro" didn't give ANY results in last 6 months and I know for a fact that it should have come up at least in this thread (http://www.3geez.com/showpost.php?p=416080&postcount=20) My guess is that newer (2 months?) threads aren't available for search.

Now onto the topic. After having used it for over a couple of weeks (600+ miles) I strongly recommend synchromesh (Gear Oil). I have tried Lucas Oil additive in both 25% and 50% mixture with Mobil One gear oil and noticed no improvement. As soon as I put synchromesh in and took it for a test drive the click when shifting into 3rd gear in high RPMs and downshifting to 3rd at highway speed was barely noticeable and the car ran quieter. In the next few days I noticed it two, three times and now I can shift as quickly as I'm able to without any noise. I actually used penzoil not GM synchromesh, but I suppose they are the same thing.

Edit: gear oil clarification in title, spelling

Raduque
08-24-2004, 07:10 PM
What is this "synchomesh? you speak of? I know that there's parts int he transmission called synchomeshes (or synchros) that help you shift without needed to double clutch and so on. Is this some kind of oil additive for manuals?

Slavic
08-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Synchromesh is the name of the gear oil (manual transmission oil) made by GM or Penzoil. It's not an additive, but the actual gear oil. You need 2 quarts and it was $5 a piece at AutoZone.

AZmike
08-24-2004, 09:40 PM
What is the viscosity?

Slavic
08-24-2004, 11:34 PM
What is the viscosity?You know what? I just looked at the bottle and it doesn't say. It brings up GM and Chrysler part numbers it's intended use is for, but no viscosity info.

AccordEpicenter
08-26-2004, 01:13 PM
i use straight GM syncromesh Friction modified in my 3gs 5 speed... best fluid you can use. Dont use sythetics in manual gearboxes, your asking for trouble