PDA

View Full Version : Yokohama es 100's????

88'er
08-24-2004, 11:28 PM
hey i am looking at getting some of the Yokohama es 100's from my local tire shop because they match tirerack.com's price, plus the tires seem like they'd be a HUGE upgrade. but on tirerack's website, it lists the snow traction of these tires as "unacceptable", does anyone have these are are they dangerous to drive on in the snow? i live in west texas and we do get snow occasionally but not very often.

86AccordLxi
08-24-2004, 11:31 PM
They're a high performance summer tire...quite sticky but not great in the snow. I know my friend Josh (Darkside) ran them through the snow and if I recall got stuck a couple of times but mostly had a lot of fun sliding around all over town. You might keep an extra set of wheels and tires for the winter, but in a pinch the es 100s may work.

Alex

Busted_Blue
08-24-2004, 11:32 PM
I say get Falken Ziex 512 tires. I have good experiences with Falkens 512s vs the ES100 where i don't get traction. This is during dry weather but..I'm sure you are looking into that too.

88'er
08-24-2004, 11:32 PM
k, well i am looking for a more performance oriented tire, but do have to drive in snow sometimes, so what would you guys suggest?

Busted_Blue
08-24-2004, 11:45 PM
i've never driven in the snow..since i live in SF, where its foggy everyday (pratically). Falken Ziex 512 tires are all season high performance tires. Take a look at that. I like them for dry traction as well as wet.. not too sure about snow you will have to research that part. I give them thumbs up on wet/dry traction. ES100 i dont like it in the wet as it somewhat slippery during my experiences with it.

Cyric_accord
08-26-2004, 02:26 PM
The Yoko Parada Spec-2s were rated slightly higher then the Es100s and are 1 dollar more, atleast for my 205-45-16s...

I would suggest, if available for your tire size and price, the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires. They were only 4 dollars more for my 16", but had higher marks all around and had high makrs on Snow traction as well... and I live in Wisconsin, lots o snow :)