PDA

View Full Version : how do I know if my mounts are shot

markmdz89hatch
07-24-2002, 05:42 AM
OK, lately my car has been acting real real strange, especially in the front end. How can I tell if my motor mounts are shot? I have a strange suspicion that they are.
:confused: :huh:

AZmike
07-24-2002, 11:50 AM
I'm curious about this too. All the other rubber and plastic pieces on my car seem to be shot. I wonder if my mounts are bad too. A few months of reaching 150 F daily for 13 years will do that to a car.

GDGuy11B
07-24-2002, 02:00 PM
one way to check is to have someone look at your engine when you rev it. if it jerks around and looks like something is wrong, then you should prolly get it checked...

OldSchoolSwap
07-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Inspect each mount visually and check for cracks.
Exesive vibrations are also a hint.

Open the hood and apply the rear parking brake:

Try this test in both, Reverse and 1st gear:
-put the car in gear
-slowly girk the gas a bit. Do not stomp on it! This could be dangerous!
-If the engine jumps up and drops donw, you have a bad front or rear mount.

Althouth some of you should NOT do this. Have a proffesional do it. I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt.

DBMaster
07-25-2002, 07:10 PM
Yeah, due to the fact that Honda uses several different mounts on tops and bottom it is hard to see the movement of the engine to tell if the mounts are broken. You can see the motor between the hood and the body when the hood is open. That way you can hold the brake down while you give it gas (auto) or slowly let the clutch out a little.

Take my advice, though. Just go ahead and replace the front and rear lower mounts. I think you are probably looking at $60-70 total for both. If they are not broken they are pretty well worn out. I did not seem to need to replace any of my upper mounts, or the one by the timing belt cover. It made a HUGE difference in the amount of idle vibration. It also helps to loosen all the mounts when you are done and tighten them in the sequence shown in the shop manual.

Good luck with it.

89AccordLXI666
07-25-2002, 08:43 PM
What can happen if you don't replace them? Stupid question but just wondering.... I think I have to replace the two in the front.. Thanx Guy's

OldSchoolSwap
07-25-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLXI666
What can happen if you don't replace them? Stupid question but just wondering.... I think I have to replace the two in the front.. Thanx Guy's It will create a domino "effect" and shit will start breaking.... axles, chassis cracks, vibrations, ruff idle, bangs every time you rev in any gear and so on.....

rocky2
07-28-2002, 06:18 AM
When I changed a engine on my 1988 dx I noticed that the engine mounts were perfectly placed in relation to weight of engine/trans. You could pivot the engine/trans. The mounts are not just solid rubber either kinda like a turnbuckle so I think dealer bought ones is the only way to go.