PDA

View Full Version : Turbo

onehunrdshot
08-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Help me out here. I got an 88 accord LXi 5spd w/ a20a motor. Can anyone help me w/findin a turbo, cuz i don't know a whole lot bout this motor

NXRacer
08-26-2004, 08:01 AM
hey newbie, watch this, and next time for your first post, make sure its not a thread asking a question.
http://projectboil.pixel10.co.uk/posting/Posting.html
lets be nice here. You were once a n00b too.

There is a LOT of information about turbos. You need to search and read for a few days, then come back with any questions you might have after that.

shepherd79
08-26-2004, 08:27 AM
there are no bolt on kits that you can just buy. everything will have to be made from scratch. as long as you have turbo itself you can work it from there.
before you even start on turbo project, you should size up the turbo you want to run. how much power you want, and so on and on. too big of a turbo you get, you will have shit load of turbo lag. if the turbo too small, it will max out too fast and you won't get to HP goal you want.
so do the search, read a lot about turbos and than when you figure out what you want. you can start building.

PS. building custom turbo setup is not that cheap. expect to invest some chunk of money into it.

A20A1
08-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Here is a thread that should answer some of your turbo questions, plenty of links and pictures and how-to or Do-it-yourself projects to turbo your motor.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37169

NXRacer
08-26-2004, 12:34 PM
also if you have the time i'd highly suggest you go buy the book "Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems" by Corky Bell. This is one of the most highly rated books on information on how to install and run a turbo system.

Mike: this is something you might want to add to that (or another) FAQ if it hasnt already been done.

A20A1
08-26-2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah I've thumbed thru that book at boarders and a few others like it... I'll add it in though.

Edit: all done... I put in the three that I know of.

smufguy
08-28-2004, 11:50 AM
side note: Mike you been doing a more than a great job organizing the threads bro. mad props to you bro. ur just friggin awsome :) :rockon:

88shavedaccordlxi
08-28-2004, 12:13 PM
actually there is a site that sells turbos for the 86-89 accord. go to www.kmodifiedracing.com they have alot of things for our cars. go there and find what you want

smufguy
08-28-2004, 12:27 PM
actually there is a site that sells turbos for the 86-89 accord. go to www.kmodifiedracing.com they have alot of things for our cars. go there and find what you want

Markese, is the guy who works there and no they dont make them for the A20 anymore. its old news, he is here in NJ. I have talked to him buncha times and due to inadequate customers, they dont do them anymore. But they do swaps into the 3g tho.

88accordalltheway
08-28-2004, 12:37 PM
sorry for being an ass, yea there is alot of info, you jsut have to look. If it were a couple of months ago, id tell you to talk to sean, but hes quitting all this stuff, so i wouldent do it. Once again, sorry everyone.

Robs89LXi
08-28-2004, 05:17 PM
sorry for being an ass, yea there is alot of info, you jsut have to look. If it were a couple of months ago, id tell you to talk to sean, but hes quitting all this stuff, so i wouldent do it. Once again, sorry everyone.

Oh, I don't know,... I got a kick out of it.

deevergote
08-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Right now, there are quite a few boosted 3geez on here. I'm not sure how many are active posters though. I know at least 3 that are getting deep into it: Smufguy, Robs89LXi, and myself :D I'm the furthest behind, because i'm broke... and my car is pretty shabby right now.

It seems that many of the really knowledgable guys are very secretive. Hopefully, the next generation of turbo guys will be a bit more open! I know I'm more than happy to share anything I learn.

Also, for info and help designing your own system, check out www.homemadeturbo.com . There you can find TONS of info. Nothing for 3geez specifically, unfortunately, but I'm working on it :D Also, check out www.pgmfi.org for ECU tuning information. That site is like a multivolume set of books in itself just with the archived info, but the more you read the better you'll understand what it's all about.

Finally, I own the Corky Bell book. A friend borrowed it before I got deep into it, but I will vouch for the value of the content. That book is a VERY good resource! A bit dated (he goes on and on about the wonderful Aerocharger, which has proven to be unreliable and impractical) but still good.

A20A1
08-30-2004, 03:43 PM
all those links are in the turbo FAQ... I wish people would use it... I spent a lot of time putting that bugger together. :D

deevergote
08-30-2004, 03:50 PM
all those links are in the turbo FAQ... I wish people would use it... I spent a lot of time putting that bugger together. :D
:uh:
Whoops! Sorry man... I was on a roll... I saw they weren't here and got carried away!

But yeah, that Turbo FAQ is kickass... I'm still reading through it. I know a lot of the stuff in there already, but it's good to reread everything you "think" you know. I know I miss a lot when I read something!