PDA

View Full Version : Purolator Pure One oil filter

SuperStuff
08-26-2004, 04:45 PM
Picked up a Purolator Pure One oil filter PL24458 from Advance Auto for my '89 Accord tonight. Went online to check that I bought the correct filter and found that they list two Pure One filters. PL14459 and PL24458 (until remaining stock is gone). If you look at the specifications PL14459 is an inch shorter in height, but otherwise the same. Why would they reduce the filter surface area when they advertise all the extra pleats providing more surface area to prevent oil restriction? Very odd.... :sadwave:

86LXItooFAST4me
08-27-2004, 06:53 AM
that filter probly fits more than one car and they are probly just down sizing thier inventory. companies do that all the time, especialy with filters. instead of having 2 different filters in stock they just interchange them with one filter, "do you undasttaannnnnn???"

SuperStuff
08-27-2004, 10:54 AM
that filter probly fits more than one car and they are probly just down sizing thier inventory. companies do that all the time, especialy with filters. instead of having 2 different filters in stock they just interchange them with one filter, "do you undasttaannnnnn???"

This is the response I got from their engineering department. I would still rather use the large surface area filter over a smaller one.

"Change is always happening. We are always looking for ways to improve manufacturing efficiencies. Where it makes sense to consolidate one filter with another the overall cost and efficiencies improve. These consolidations are researched fully before they are implemented.

As far the size of the filter is concerned, bigger in not necessarily better. The filter performance is influenced by many factors with size being only one of them. With the proper media a smaller filter can actually perform better than a larger filter."

86LXItooFAST4me
08-27-2004, 11:01 AM
...We are always looking for ways to improve manufacturing efficiencies. Where it makes sense to consolidate one filter with another the overall cost and efficiencies improve. ..

see, thats what i said :D

hondamanlxi
08-27-2004, 11:26 AM
its just cool that you actually got a straight answer from a company!

SuperStuff
08-27-2004, 03:12 PM
its just cool that you actually got a straight answer from a company!

I knew the answer before I got it. Just thought I would ask anyway. I'm sure the original OEM filter is small and since they use more pleats it provides more area anyway than the original filter so I can live with this. I might actually wait for their oversize filter to go on sale and buy several before they run out.

Cyric_accord
09-04-2004, 10:00 PM
We have Purolator Oil Filters at the Parts Store at college, and when one of the guys in my auto section picked up a filter for his 86 Civic... was way different, but screwed on alright I guess.

Only bad thing is after he started the car after it got off the hoist, oil filter blew off the threads and just lost all oil. Good thing he managed to shut off the car before too long, no permenant damage seemed to have happened.

Oyvind Ryeng
09-05-2004, 05:08 AM
Semi offtopic, but I'm currently running a Purolator oil filter and I've most likely spun/damaged a rod bearing. Engine was warmed up to nominal operating temperature (just normal driving for 15 minutes), and i took it to 6000 RPM's in first and second gear. When I pulled over to park a few seconds later, I had the characteristic heavy knocking sound that only a destroyed rod bearing can make.

It's not at all sure the filter is to blame, I'm currently using rather expensive Valvoline synthetic oil, and it's less than 700 miles old. The oil looked fine on the dipstick, it had the normal dark honey-looking color, and no metal shavings that I could see. But I won't be sure until I drop the oilpan and visually inspect and check for excessive play in all the bearing in the bottom end. My A20A4 only has 162,000 miles on it, so this is one Honda engine that has died way before it's time. Oil and filter has alway been changed before the 5000 mile-mark.

(Mind you, this very A20A4 will continiue to push around my 3G for years to come; this is just a minor setback that is soon to be resolved.)

MrBen
09-05-2004, 06:53 PM
I haven't had any problems with Purolator. I was weary at first, though.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-05-2004, 06:59 PM
Maybe the filter isn't the problem with your engine knocking. It could be your driving habits.

Oyvind Ryeng
09-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Maybe the filter isn't the problem with your engine knocking. It could be your driving habits.
Like I said:

It's not at all sure the filter is to blame

Busted_Blue
09-06-2004, 02:27 AM
well, the new honda oil filters all use one size..basically minus the s2000, v6 pwred cars.

danronian
09-06-2004, 07:32 PM
I tried a few types of the fram filters for the 3g and I always find that the purolator brand has the better oil retention (least noise at startup) . I actually found that the cheap purolator, not the PureOne(which I have installed now), seems to hold the oil better.

Neuspeed87lx
09-12-2004, 07:25 PM
I had the characteristic heavy knocking sound that only a destroyed rod bearing can make.

uuugh that is the worst sound in the world !

AZmike
09-12-2004, 08:02 PM
It's been posted before, but I doubt everyone has seen it--some interesting information on oil filters may be found here:

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Since reading this I switched from Fram to Purolator and noticed significantly less valvetrain noise.