PDA

View Full Version : need help fast wont start.

Jdub07
08-26-2004, 04:58 PM
i know i know its a 92 accord but you must help me. sometimes the car wont start......but will turn over over over over over over over and nothing. But if you turn the key on then off on off on off on off many many times eventually it will start. WHY DOES IT DO THIS!!!

88LXi68
08-26-2004, 05:08 PM
main relay!

Jdub07
08-26-2004, 05:26 PM
percentage wise how sure are you. don't mean to question you but between 1-100% sure? By the way THANKS FOR SUCH A FAST RESPONSE!!!!

88LXi68
08-26-2004, 05:34 PM
with the info you gave I am going to say 75%-80%. On our '90 Accord it wouldnt start, but turn over and over even after a complete tune up. Then replaced the main relay and everything works perfect now. When it happens is the car been locked up and closed (meaning is it hot inside the car)??? BTW....Its a $40 part.

accordlxi2.0
08-26-2004, 05:42 PM
that's one of honda'sa weakness, that and the distributor assembly.

Jdub07
08-26-2004, 06:08 PM
where is it located. I went to the parts store to buy it and they handed me this huge relay but I've never seen it in the car. Its not where all the other relays are is it? I looked in my manual but am coming up with nothing. $40!?!?!? CRAP. oh well I need to get it and fast. wife drives this car with our baby in it so it can't be getting stranded Please someone tell me where to find the location of the main relay.

accordlxi2.0
08-26-2004, 06:14 PM
the relay is located or should be located on the driver side dash, little above the fuse panel.
you can go to the junk yard and cuff one.

Jdub07
08-27-2004, 08:28 AM
while at the parts store I asked the guy behind the counter about this problem...he seemed 100% sure that this was an ignition problem. That these year cars have a switch in the oposite side of the key ignition that goes bad....he said the 'run' position goes out intermidently. I was like....ummmm dude I never heard of this. He was so sure he gave me his employee discount from $77 to $51 and that if it didn't solve the problem he'd take it back for the full $77. So I bought it spent 2 hours putting it in and the car starts. But there is no sure way to know if this is the problem because the car has a mind of its own and does this start no start crap whenever it feels like it. I also bought a new fuel filter, pcv valve, fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure gauge. I'll be heading to the junk yard today to pocket a main relay as they cost a pretty penny at the store. If I can't find one I'll just spring for a new one. Other that the above things I can't think of why the car does this....it has fire but seem like it wont fire up...doesn't that mean fuel???

I feel like an idiot...things were so much more easier on my carbed 86 accord!!!!

TheSummoner101
08-31-2004, 11:53 AM
i have a 89 Accord carb'd, and im having a similar problem...so do i have to get a new main relay? or is there another source of the problem?

the car is running fine, but when starting it takes usually 3-4 secodnds. it turns over over over and finally starts...is it normal?

sometimes the car does start pretty fast, like not even a second, i just turn the key and boom it starts, but that rarely happens.

accordlxi2.0
08-31-2004, 12:04 PM
only efi system's have a main relay.
it could be time for a tune-up, air filter, fuel filter's (3 of 'em), ecu system delayed.

TheSummoner101
08-31-2004, 01:53 PM
only efi system's have a main relay.
it could be time for a tune-up, air filter, fuel filter's (3 of 'em), ecu system delayed.
oh my bad, well i have had it tuned up, the air filter is clean, so gotta check the fuel filters :P

thanx

night
09-01-2004, 09:22 PM
oh my bad, well i have had it tuned up, the air filter is clean, so gotta check the fuel filters :P

thanx

carbs have a 'main' relay, it just isnt called that. but they rarely ever go bad. it is the cheese holed one in back of the inside fuse box