PDA

View Full Version : Which wheel is the drive wheel?

jteuton
07-24-2002, 09:11 AM
It is the driver or passenger wheel that does all the pulling?

Mantis88LX
07-24-2002, 09:37 AM
its both isnt it?

OldSchoolSwap
07-24-2002, 09:44 AM
Both don't do the pulling unless you have an LSD.
Wich ever side has the most grip will pull. Kinda sucks but oh well!
Thats why I installed an LSD on mine ;)

shepherd79
07-24-2002, 09:58 AM
oldschool were did you get LSD?

OldSchoolSwap
07-24-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
From Honda:D I had the tranny imported from japan (JDM). I think Quaife had a contract with Honda back in the days for Honda's performance cars.

Remember, I have the B16 motor not the regular A20 engine.

AZmike
07-24-2002, 12:11 PM
Both wheels pull you usless you apply enough torque to break one of the wheels loose. A LSD makes it so that you'd have to break both wheel lose together (since it limits the difference between the rotating speeds of each wheel), so it pretty much doubles how much torque you can use without spinning a tire.

At least that's how I always understood it. Please correct me if I'm spreading lies.

POS carb
07-24-2002, 01:37 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

it's not a 1 wheel drive, it's just whatever wheel has the least resistance that gets the power, it switches back and forth

OldSchoolSwap
07-24-2002, 02:46 PM
Ding! Ding! Affirmative:)

GreenMachine
07-24-2002, 03:20 PM
But usually it will be the passenger side wheel that will break loose - because that side has the shorter axle.
Can you get a LSD for the accord engine ?

Mantis88LX
07-24-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79

haha LSD?

A20A1
07-24-2002, 06:41 PM
I feel a song coming on...

shepherd79
07-25-2002, 04:00 AM
i thought some one was making limited slip for our cars.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Openloop can get you one (LSD) and OPMmotorsports can also get you one. By summer 2003 I was going to have one put on my car, oh well:( What I don't know is if the openloop one is a clutch type or a gear type with. The OPMmotorsports one is a clutch type

Cheeseburger
10-24-2006, 11:53 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
it's not a 1 wheel drive, it's just whatever wheel has the least resistance that gets the power, it switches back and forth

thats what i thought too. at first i started to think if what wheel is the drive wheel, but then im like wait aint it a 1 wheel drive

mkymonkey
10-24-2006, 11:55 PM
so would the right wheel have more power because of the shorter axel?

Cheeseburger
10-24-2006, 11:56 PM
hmmm i would think so.

mkymonkey
10-25-2006, 12:04 AM
ive always wondered dude...thats why i ask...

Oldblueaccord
10-25-2006, 05:04 AM
Got an old crusty one here I see. Mike knows this for sure now. It has something to do with torque output is determined by the lenght of the shaft. Honda didnt get it either they shoulda made our cars equal lenghts in the first place to kill off the torque steer. I really think Saturn was the first least they advertised it anyway.

wp

MessyHonda
10-25-2006, 08:30 AM
how about if you have LSD is it still one?

Oldblueaccord
10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Well not really sure your question. LSD= limited lip differental doesn't truely lock both wheels that I know of. I still think there is some slip wheel to wheel unless you weld the 2 together. Usually there some kinda friction plates or tapered cones with springs. There may have been a kaaz ? lsd that used 2 plates and big springs that might be 100% when locked but if your wheels arent point dead straight I dont think it will lock from my memory and impressions of it. I really have experience with rear wheel drives axles as far LSD and lockers as there called. But since the rear doesnt steer its a little differant. Now for sure a spool for those type rear ends is 100% locked both axle shafts. I thought about one for my Scout at some point I may try it but there a little hairy on the street.

As far as torque being even with both wheels locked/ welded whatever its the length of the shafts that say where the torque goes and how much. its a law of Physics may try google it and teach me :D

wp

AZmike
10-25-2006, 10:50 AM
The length of the axles affects torque steer, but should have very little effect on which tire loses traction first. An open differential supplies both axles with the same torque when both tires have traction. Other than small frictional loses in the CV joints and wheel bearings, all of this torque gets to the tires.

The tire that spins first is the one with less grip. It may be on a less abrasive section of road, it may be on the inside side during a turn (load transfer), or it may be less loaded due to uneven weight distribution of the car.

Once one of the drive wheels has broken loose the car is one-wheel-drive...sort of. Nearly of the torque goes to the spinning wheel at this point, but a slipping tire doesn't grip as well as a rolling one. There are three types of LSDs commonly used on street cars: helical (torsen), clutch, and viscous. None of these types permanently lock the two sides together.

AccordB20A
10-25-2006, 11:48 AM
with my car its diffrent. the tyre on the left with the big long axle (I dont have a 2 piece axle on the left) seams to wear out more and make more smoke than the right wheel during burnouts.

also my car spins both wheels but one not as much as the other cause it allways leaves 2 black marks. im sure theres no lsd in their. i have a feeling its something to do with the left hand inner CV housing thing that goes into the gearbox. its longer than the one that came with it and seems to lock the dif when you turn them by hand but when you drive it acts normally.
i have done 15000kms on this setup and have no problems so i guess its sweet:)