PDA

View Full Version : 18's on a accord

cbomb222
08-28-2004, 12:11 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7917914569&category=43958
Will these fit on my 87 accord?

shepherd79
08-28-2004, 03:02 AM
yes they will, but you won't have the tire on it. the max rim you can fit and still have enough rubber around it is 17".
next time do the search before asking.

ivanfbi
08-28-2004, 01:13 PM
they will fit, but you are gonna rub anything, cuz the offset should be +45 if its 18" or you wanna run 215/40/17

MarioBurke
08-29-2004, 12:28 PM
yes they will, but you won't have the tire on it. the max rim you can fit and still have enough rubber around it is 17".

dont be an asshole. You cant find shit in the search engine. I searched for a fucking month about how far you can lower a car on 18's. i still cant find shit. and everytime I ask no one will answer the damn question!
( and yes i did manage a swear word in every sentence)

and if you have 18's you can roll the fender and make sure you have new struts and that will get rid of most of your rubbing problem. i had some bad rubbing when i first got them. you cant take a corner faster than 35mph. i havent rubbed anymore except when i hit a bump in the middle of a turn doing 70.

Cloak86
08-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Even if you can...in my opinion, those rims are going to look like shit on a 3g.....

shepherd79
08-30-2004, 03:27 AM
dont be an asshole. You cant find shit in the search engine. I searched for a fucking month about how far you can lower a car on 18's. i still cant find shit. and everytime I ask no one will answer the damn question!
( and yes i did manage a swear word in every sentence)

and if you have 18's you can roll the fender and make sure you have new struts and that will get rid of most of your rubbing problem. i had some bad rubbing when i first got them. you cant take a corner faster than 35mph. i havent rubbed anymore except when i hit a bump in the middle of a turn doing 70.
well, the reason you probably didn't find any info is because no one has done it. i know there was one person with 18" and he was lowered almost 3".
Plus i don't know why someone would want 18" rim. with 17" rims you will have 205/40/17" profile tires. you can't have any smaller profile tires than that if you want your speedometer work properly.
anything above 17" will give you Inaccurate speedometer reading.

MarioBurke
08-30-2004, 06:53 AM
um because the car isnt going to be used for speed, it'll be used for show.

Mike's89AccordLX
08-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Guys guys guys. Wasn't it hondamanlxi that had the 18's? And do you seriously think someone that has a stock 3g is going to buy 18's and have it as a show car? I don't know where this hostility started but it needs to end.

Most of the time the search doesn't work b/c the person is typing in a bad keyword or something like that. People need to learn how to search plan and simple. There are way too many people putting up threads that have been covered a ton of times. Or people that just put up threads to be post whores. That crap needs to stop and its a matter of time that it will caught up with that person and they won't be here.

-Mike

Lesson of the day.... cool your jets... and I'm not talking about the ones in carbs ;)

crwa
08-30-2004, 04:48 PM
I had 18's for a while and they were using 215/35 tires and they never rubbed, and the car was lowered with Eibach sportline springs and drove fine and the speedo was never off... I have 17"s now and like them better but 18"s fit just fine and can look good as long as they arn't to flashy...

MarioBurke
08-30-2004, 05:45 PM
Guys guys guys. Wasn't it hondamanlxi that had the 18's? And do you seriously think someone that has a stock 3g is going to buy 18's and have it as a show car? I don't know where this hostility started but it needs to end.

Most of the time the search doesn't work b/c the person is typing in a bad keyword or something like that. People need to learn how to search plan and simple. There are way too many people putting up threads that have been covered a ton of times.....

First of all MIKE, you need to learn to know when to keep your mouth shut. Second because I HAVE 7, repeat, HAVE 7 3rd gens, I do have the resources to make a race car and a show car. now if you wanna knock putting 18's on a 3rd gen, then i'll knock putting two intake pipes on a 98 horse power engine cause I know its pulling so much air it needs both. then I'll knock on the ghetto gauge pod job you got there. THIRD, I searched for a week and asked other members, before I even posted my question on the board. i know how annoying it is to see the same question pop up over and over again. i get PM's every week about what kinda lip is on my front and back bumpers. so again know when to shut your mouth.

TheSummoner101
08-30-2004, 08:17 PM
IMO i think those rims are too flashy...u can prolly get some 18's on ur car, but try getting like black ones or something, my friend had em on his 98 Si they looked pretty good :)

But be on the safe side and go wid 17" since most ppl are going with those :D

MarioBurke
08-30-2004, 08:20 PM
I hope you are not talking about my Rims. cause they are not chrome or flashy...and I am having them powder coated with my gun metal

TheSummoner101
08-30-2004, 08:23 PM
I hope you are not talking about my Rims. cause they are not chrome or flashy...and I am having them powder coated with my gun metal
hehe nah man, i love the rims u got on ur car...i was talkin about the rims he saw on ebay, sorry for the confusion :)

hondamanlxi
08-30-2004, 08:39 PM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/373000-373999/373687_93_full.jpg
215/35/zr18 never rubbed w/2.5 drop on STIFF coilovers

these wheels turned me off to the car :( i didnt own it much longer...

MarioBurke
08-30-2004, 08:45 PM
do you by chance know what coils you had on there?

and is that a 4th gen kit on there?

also Has anyone seen the rims on the blue car in my signature before? they are ADR Racing wheels. They are not listed on the ADR website and I am looking to find the offset. anybody know? they are 18's of course

hondamanlxi
08-30-2004, 08:58 PM
cut tokico's on front/ unknown coilovers on back ( had to support trunk shit)

:uh: its a teg front, neon sides, 4thgen back

i get SOOOOOOOOO tired of saying that!

Mike's89AccordLX
08-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Jeez mario you need to chill man I wasn't knocking any of your stuff or rides. I was just saying that stuff about the thread maker since his ride is most likely stock and probably not a show car. I'm not going to argue since its just pointless. I don't care what people think of my car, b/c its my car and not theirs. I'm not going to get into the gauges or intakes thing b/c its been discussed many times and an easy search would bring up results :)

Alright lets just get along since we all have pretty badass cars and put a lot of work into our cars so I think we should have a mutual respect for eachother.

-Mike

MarioBurke
08-30-2004, 10:37 PM
cut tokico's on front/ unknown coilovers on back ( had to support trunk shit)

:uh: its a teg front, neon sides, 4thgen back

i get SOOOOOOOOO tired of saying that!

oh im sorry, i suppose I should have SEARCHED for it! lol interesting.

i still need help finding the offset for my rims

shepherd79
08-31-2004, 03:06 AM
why don't you call the company and ask? plus the offset for our cars is +40 (+/- 2). since you are going with wider tire, you may want to go with +40 or +38 offset.

MarioBurke
08-31-2004, 06:57 AM
if i knew the name of the rim i would

smufguy
08-31-2004, 09:09 AM
why don't you call the company and ask? plus the offset for our cars is +40 (+/- 2). since you are going with wider tire, you may want to go with +40 or +38 offset.

ALex, the wider the tire is, the more Offset u need and I confirmed it with jim a while back too. so no matter what u cannot run offsets lower than 40mm.

Fellas here is the link to the FAQ about the Rims and tires >>> http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=31783

and if u wanna know what the hell offset and tire specs means look here >>> http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=488

Also, next time keep the quarrels and stuff either in Offtopic, to be honest, keep it in the PM.

Low Tek
08-31-2004, 11:59 AM
damn... I think 18's are cool in all, but I like 16's.. they are not as rough goin down the road. I do like the way 18's suck in teh wheel well though.. jus a matter of what you want i guess..

smufguy
08-31-2004, 02:54 PM
damn... I think 18's are cool in all, but I like 16's.. they are not as rough goin down the road. I do like the way 18's suck in teh wheel well though.. jus a matter of what you want i guess..

for a daily driver, i would not opt for anymore than 16s. Cause for a normal driving and long distance driving, anything bigger than 16 just puts a danger on the tires and mainly on the rims in case of a pot hole.

But just for looks and show like TK and his Air-bagged awsome accord, i would say get a nice looking 18", but make sure the only way it hits the road, is on a trailer. :)

MarioBurke
08-31-2004, 06:02 PM
ALex, the wider the tire is, the more Offset u need and I confirmed it with jim a while back too. so no matter what u cannot run offsets lower than 40mm.

Fellas here is the link to the FAQ about the Rims and tires >>> http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=31783

and if u wanna know what the hell offset and tire specs means look here >>> http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=488

Also, next time keep the quarrels and stuff either in Offtopic, to be honest, keep it in the PM.

thats good info and all but can you put numbers to those pictures? What is a 38, 40, 45 offset? Does the smaller number (say 38) push the tire away from the suspension, and closer to the quater panel? or does it bring it in under the wheel well towards the body?

smufguy
08-31-2004, 08:24 PM
thats good info and all but can you put numbers to those pictures? What is a 38, 40, 45 offset? Does the smaller number (say 38) push the tire away from the suspension, and closer to the quater panel? or does it bring it in under the wheel well towards the body?

mario, the second link is clearly explained and has pics to it. See the second post in that thread. Also lemme just explain.

a positive offset is used for wider rims. this keeps the center of the rim closer to the hub to get more clearance on the inside of the wheel-well to clear the box frame under lock to lock turns.

A negative offset is used for skinnier rims or Deep dish rims, to keep the center of the rim close to the hub. and usually done to non moving axle as in the RWD cars.

The point being of choosing the right amount of offset is to keep the clearance in mind and importantly the center of the wheel closer to the hub, to reduce sprung weight. cause the father the center of the rim (mass center) the greater is the moment arm. and u dont want that.

there is also a solution to use precicly machined wheel spacers. if i am right, u can be able to grab one for 10mm - 15mm aluminum spacers to get the right offset u want. But i for one, dont recommend using that. Just too much weight on the 4 corners.

IMPORTANT: Always keep in mind to use the right size rim for the right size tire.

MarioBurke
08-31-2004, 09:23 PM
mario, the second link is clearly explained and has pics to it. See the second post in that thread. Also lemme just explain.

a positive offset is used for wider rims. this keeps the center of the rim closer to the hub to get more clearance on the inside of the wheel-well to clear the box frame under lock to lock turns.

A negative offset is used for skinnier rims or Deep dish rims, to keep the center of the rim close to the hub. and usually done to non moving axle as in the RWD cars.

The point being of choosing the right amount of offset is to keep the clearance in mind and importantly the center of the wheel closer to the hub, to reduce sprung weight. cause the father the center of the rim (mass center) the greater is the moment arm. and u dont want that.

there is also a solution to use precicly machined wheel spacers. if i am right, u can be able to grab one for 10mm - 15mm aluminum spacers to get the right offset u want. But i for one, dont recommend using that. Just too much weight on the 4 corners.

IMPORTANT: Always keep in mind to use the right size rim for the right size tire.

Jesus SMUF, I read the fucking link!! Goddam, I know i get upset easily but if someone would READ my question and then answer me I wouldnt get upset. (hold on while I go break some shit)

ok....

I read the second link and saw the pictures already, but it did not answer my question. because that link only describes Positive, negative, and center offset, but it did not explain what the numerical offsets were. 38,40,45. so if my rim is considered a positive offset rim, what would that make it? 40, 45 offseet

smufguy
09-01-2004, 05:41 AM
but now u get it right?

FOr example, a 13 X 4 size rim can use 185 rubber with 40mm offset, but a 16 X 7 rim which can use a 215 or 225 rubber needs to have 45mm offset or greaterr.

MarioBurke
09-01-2004, 06:46 AM
no that still doesnt help me figure out what offset is. I will repeat the question....maybe someone can actually answer it. DOES a 38 offset bring the Center of the rim closer or further away from the hub? IS 38 CLOSER AND 45 FURTHER AWAY?? OR IS 38 FURTHER AND 45 CLOSER?? AGAIN HOW CAN I TELL THE OFFSET OF MY RIM?? I KNOW I NEED TO RUNA 40MM OFFSET, BUT WHY???

AZmike
09-01-2004, 07:26 AM
Farther out (away from the hub) is positive offset.

The cross section of the wheel below show offset in blue. On the left is a wheel with a larger positive offset around 40 mm. The right wheel has a smaller offset around 15 mm.

smufguy
09-01-2004, 07:41 AM
no that still doesnt help me figure out what offset is. I will repeat the question....maybe someone can actually answer it. DOES a 38 offset bring the Center of the rim closer or further away from the hub? IS 38 CLOSER AND 45 FURTHER AWAY?? OR IS 38 FURTHER AND 45 CLOSER?? AGAIN HOW CAN I TELL THE OFFSET OF MY RIM?? I KNOW I NEED TO RUNA 40MM OFFSET, BUT WHY???

mario, you dont seem to understand what the numbers mean. The numbers are the distances between the center of the rim to the mating surface of the hub on the knuckle. I dont know how else to explain this to you when the picture clearly has the centerline of the wheel and the distance pointing to the hub. you want the center of the rim to be close or right on the line of the hub. :(

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2062&stc=1

using the above picture as an example, lemme tell u something simple. Lets say u wanna run 215 or 225 tires like me. So u choose either 7 or 7.5" wide rims. So with this u choose a 38mm offset rim and a 45mm offset rim. U use the 38mm rim, u will not be able to install it correctly and even if u manage to put it on the hub, under wheel turn, u will rub inside the wheel well. this is because the center of the rim is inside towards the car so there is more rim towards the inside of the car than outside.

On the other hand u use the 45mm rim, u will be correclty installed and under turn u wont rum on the inside of the wheelwell. And u will have the center of the rim pretty close or even right on the axis of the hub which is what u wanna achieve. NOTE: Running this wide of a rim will have u do some fender work and rolling up the fender might just not be enough and it all depends on how much the car is lowered and also how much camber you got.
So a 45mm offset is used for wider rims and 38 for narrower. offset does not push or pull the rim in or out of the fender. Its the number used to CORRECTLY FIT the size of rim whose width is LARGER than stock.

the rim's offset is stamped on the inside mating surface of the it and also is posted on the spec sheet that comes with it or if u go to the main manufacturer website of the rim, they are always listed there or u can all the tech dept and make sure u can get the desired rim in that size.
Get it man? :sad2:

MarioBurke
09-01-2004, 05:51 PM
Farther out (away from the hub) is positive offset.

The cross section of the wheel below show offset in blue. On the left is a wheel with a larger positive offset around 40 mm. The right wheel has a smaller offset around 15 mm.

HOLY SHIT!! THANK YOU MIKE!! couldnt have made it more simple than that.

MrBen
09-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Straight and to the point. Doesn't get any better :D

smufguy
09-01-2004, 08:02 PM
:sad2: :( :uh: :owned: <<<< me

MarioBurke
09-01-2004, 08:40 PM
:sad2: :( :uh: :owned: <<<< me

your info helped but he got the question. so you say, the offset is actually stamped on the rim iteslf?

.....the rim's offset is stamped on the inside mating surface of the it and also is posted on the spec sheet that comes with it or if u go to the main manufacturer website of the rim, they are always listed there or u can all the tech dept and make sure u can get the desired rim in that size......

well I searched the website for quite some time already and i didnt find anything. ADR racing or whatever it is. all they have is the new line of rims. I think this one is a bit older. a year or so. and I got the rims from a friend so i didnt get any paper work from him. if get the chance to call them I will try that. most of the time i just work too much. Next question is you said its also stamped on the inside mating surface?? do you mean I have to demount the tire to check for the offset, or is it visable in plain view?

by the way thanks for being patient. lol

smufguy
09-02-2004, 04:05 AM
aftermarket rims are stamped in the back. So yeah u gotta take the rim to look at it. I have seen three aftermarket rims (one on the car and two on the shelf and they had them). stock Alloy rims have it stamped on the outside lip of the rim.

so yeah if you could not find it on the site, give them a call and see if u can find the specs.

No prob man, i thought it was clearly obvious from the pictures, but i guess i did not put myself in your position to look at it. ALways here to help .......... in a very complicated way :)

Neuspeed87lx
09-09-2004, 07:07 PM

i duuno why u say the max rim you can fit is 17inch and have enough rubber... had an 89 accord with 19s on it .... lowered a bit too .... and never rubbed ....never ....and had plenty of rubber